PDA

View Full Version : bad frag job... help

indydog1
11/21/2008, 12:14 PM
i just got a couple of red shrooms that a guy ripped off rocks, and also pom pom xenia that he cut off the rocks using a kithen knife.

it was a mess.

i have put them in a measuring cup with a little substrate and a couple of pieces of rubble. the cups are at the bottom of my tank right now, so the water is moving, but not blowing the frags everywhere. am i doing all i can?

are these guys doomed from jump street?

any help, direction,or advice is welcome:confused:

SilkyJ
11/21/2008, 12:24 PM
usually shrooms and xenia are about as hardy a coral as you can get. i would rubberband them onto some LR and let them attach.

indydog1
11/21/2008, 02:17 PM
the mushrooms are big enough, but the xenia are very small. will this still work?

bozoman
11/22/2008, 11:20 AM
Just make sure you rubber band the base of the xenia to a small rock. as long as the xenia touches the rock and stays on the rock (place in lowest current possible), it should be fully attached within 48 hours, most likely 12-24 hours. After it has attached itself to something you can place it in higher current to prevent it from getting long and lanky.

good luck.

REEF-n-Chicago
11/23/2008, 11:28 PM
Ive never had much luck w/ the rubberband idea.... I find if I take a glad ware container and drill a bunch of holes in the sides, add substate, and let the pieces blow around i have much better luck! In a week everything is attached !

93292_FishGuy
11/26/2008, 02:57 AM
If u can use bridal veil and rubberband the coral under that to the rock that has worked for me!

OwenInAZ
11/27/2008, 07:31 AM
It's hard to rubber band softies, I think. Too slippery. I've had good luck throwing them in a rubbermaid with holes and let them attach to whatever rubble is in there. They'll figure it out eventually, they've been doing this for longer than we've been keeping them in tanks :)

And I might not get frags from that guy in the future ;)

returnofsid
11/28/2008, 08:52 AM
Add some pieces of rubble to that container. Try to put pieces in that will hold the xenia between them. You can wedge the Xenia between 2 pieces of rubble and rubberband the rubble pieces together. This will work much better than a rubberband directly on the xenia. Xenia is notoriously not a very good shipper. When I "weed" my xenia and give it away, about 75% survives. I cut with a sharp pair of scissors if I'm not able to peel it off the rock.

M.A.F.
11/28/2008, 09:59 AM
Gel superglue!

TIMMYE
11/28/2008, 09:17 PM
if they are in a small container that does not have a bunch of movement across them they should attach to the rubbel wiht in a week or so.