PDA

View Full Version : continue ich treatment? both clowns gone

HollieR14
11/21/2008, 05:59 PM
Ok- So both of the clowns from the last meeting have now perished. I have been treating the tank for ich for a week and noticed during the last treatment I only purchased enough of the treatment product for a week.....grrr there was a bigger bottle right there and had I read the instructions while I was at the store I would have realized the small bottle did not have enough for the full two weeks it recommends- anyway since the fish that had the ich are gone do I keep treating? The chromis in my tank look great and water is fine....you thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

gsusfreak
11/21/2008, 07:49 PM
i would stop the treatment, ..but thats just me....im not much into adding chemical to the tank

in all honesty, i think your clowns probably just had a weak immune system and your chromis didnt....did all the fish all have ick?....or just the clowns?.....did they ever start to eat?.....i know that in my tank, anytime i add a new fish, the new fish always show some sign of ick the first couple days (never on the current fish).......and i just feed teeny tiny amounts of food through out the first couple days and every couple hours......if they start eating like pigs, they'll turn out fine ....but thats in my tank, and it works for me........im sure i have ick living in my tank too but all of my fish are healthy enough to fight it off....your chromis was probably able to fight it off

i say, for your best bet,...purchase your next fish from a fellow reefer...atleast you'll know that the fish were from a healthy tank....not saying that our LFS dont have healthy animals....its just that they go through a ton of fish....and more than likely they were still stressed from the transition to the store, and in the store when they are chased around by fish nets all day long..and then some more when you took them home

ai-reefer
11/21/2008, 09:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13793099#post13793099 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gsusfreak
more than likely they were still stressed from the transition to the store, and in the store when they are chased around by fish nets all day long..and then some more when you took them home

Good point...never thought about that. I noticed that the fish stores have Powerful UV systems in line. I was at the big fish store last week and saw several fish that were very weak and sick.

Most of us have challenges running a reef tank. Think about running a reef store holy crap :)

commonstranger
11/21/2008, 10:43 PM
For what its worth this is my policy on LFS : If their tank isnt cleaner than mine than I'm not buying anything from them. Some people say hey they go through this and go through that and so many fish and corals and they always stay busy. Suggesting that they just didnt have time to keep the tanks clean enough. Well I have news for them its "THEIR BUSSINESS" and if they want my bussiness they will have clean tanks. Just my two cents worth but I can assure you it will pay off if you go by it.

HollieR14
11/22/2008, 08:25 AM
The chromis never showed any signs- they continue to eat like pigs- the clowns ate once right after we got them and then nothing significant- I sure did some learning over the last couple of weeks- I am going to finish the ich treatment bottle I started and then watch the chromis carefully. I am now thinkging about what you all said about buying at LFS, if I do want to purchase from a reef club member shoudl I just post here? Also- does anyone have perhaps an online source that they think might be better than a LFS?
Hollie

rustrocker
11/22/2008, 11:27 AM
A lot of times when I wanted something,
I would order it from Emerald Bay, with instructions to leave it in its shipping bag, then I'd go and wait for the orders to come in on tuesday night. That way it didn't have to be acclimated twice.

james3370
11/22/2008, 12:08 PM
i recently lost a phillipine tang & pygmy angel & all the tank paramaters were testing fine....all but the one i forget to check (DOH!!!) specific gravity/salinity. it was out the roof from a bonehead mistake on my part...read the thread HERE (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1514871)

anywhoo, my 2 clowns always seemed to be doing fine throughout it & are still looking good & eating like they never get fed LOL

gsusfreak
11/22/2008, 01:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13796267#post13796267 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustrocker
A lot of times when I wanted something,
I would order it from Emerald Bay, with instructions to leave it in its shipping bag, then I'd go and wait for the orders to come in on tuesday night. That way it didn't have to be acclimated twice.

i would recommend this route too hollie.....the online stores are pretty much the same ..and though the prices look good, with shipping it all equals up....and as for health, it can't be much different from a LFS (so buy from the LFS).... the more pricier fish are usually in the tanks for a few weeks before someone scoops it up...so thats a good way to check for health.....but since your getting something thats really common like clowns, gobies, chromis, etc....you'll just have to take your chances and buy it whenever you want cause they get shipments of them every week

gsusfreak
11/22/2008, 01:46 PM