PDA

View Full Version : High ORP readings...

tikalize
11/22/2008, 01:37 AM
When i purchased my EX i already had a Pinpoint ORP probe on hand so i hooked it up & calibrated it in the GHL solution. It calibrated fine & read 200mv. I had it in my sump for some time now. The first couple of months my ORP was between 300 & 350. Now my probe is reading between 700 & right now as i speak it is up to 933! I also clean my probe on a regular basis & have recalibrated it with no problem. Could this be a possible defective probe or have you guys ever head of a ground loop problem with ORP measurements? Just checking before i try to replace something that's not broke. Thanks.

AQD_ottawa
11/22/2008, 08:53 AM
There are 3 options here

1. high organic build up of probe, soak in 400mV solution of same brand as probe. for 30 seconds then rinse

2. Electical noise or leakage.

3. Dead probe (most likely)

To test, clean probe as above and then place probe in glass of tank water away from tank and then see what the reading does.

The probe you are using is also not designed to run well with GHL, ProfiLux uses much higher tolerances than most generic probes. This is why we do not sell generic ORP probes with the profiLux.

tikalize
11/22/2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks for you response Michael, I know i was going to have to bite the bullet & purchase GHL Probes sooner or later. will the Aqua Digital PH probes work well with these units?

AQD_ottawa
11/22/2008, 12:34 PM
They do but only sold within the beginner kits we do not market them alone for the GHL.

tikalize
11/22/2008, 12:58 PM
So this is a error on Cherry Corals site? Aqua Digital PH probe with BNC connector

Aqua Digital pH probes are high quality glass bulbed KCL dual layer UV STABILISED which come with a huge 3 metre suppressed cable.

When choosing a new probe for your unit it is important that you know you are purchasing a probe that is not only accurate but also stable and can withst...
Our price: $29.99

AQD_ottawa
11/22/2008, 04:08 PM
We do not market them to be fitted to the GHL, I did not say our dealers do not sell them a long with our other aquatic products we sell.

If you choose to buy one for your GHL that is up to you, but we do not specifically market them as an accessory for the profiLux as it is not made by GHL and Matthias is VERY kind in allowing us to include them in the beginner packs to help bring the price of the GHL packs in line with North American pricing expectations.

The EX beginners come with genuine GHL pH probes, it is ONLY the basic beginner that comes with the Aqua Digital Probe.

tikalize
11/22/2008, 04:31 PM
They do but only sold within the beginner kits we do not market them alone for the GHL. I apologize that i did not read this reply & understand what you were saying. I thought you said that they can only be purchased with the beginners package & can not be purchased alone. Thats why its important to understand what I am are reading :D Thanks again..