PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for my pepermint shrimp to come in!!

Chris&Mel
11/22/2008, 01:21 PM
So, my LFS isnt going to be getting any shipments for 2 more weeks, and i'm starting to get alot of these guys popin up. Should i be conserned or will it be fine untill i get my shrimp?

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/chris121277/reef%20tank/PICT0002-1.jpg

fender4string
11/22/2008, 01:59 PM
Peppermint shrimp aren't a guaranteed aptasia cure. My brother had one and it only ate a few of his smallest aptasia. I've heard rumors that whether or not they will eat aptasia has something to do with where they were caught....who knows if that's true though.

Chris&Mel
11/22/2008, 02:06 PM
Ok, so in your opinion what critter would be the best for this?

melvinudawl
11/22/2008, 02:08 PM
check this thread out, lots of suggestions:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1514606

singold
11/22/2008, 04:33 PM
They may not eat the bigger Aiptasia but will eat the smaller ones. You can get "Joe's Juice" or "Aiptasia Control by Blue Life" for the bigger ones. The are both basically a Kalk mixture that you use a syringe to squirt some in the top of the Aiptasia petal. It sucks it in and dissolves literally almost immediately. I used this for a long time. But they kept growing back. So I got Peppermint shrimp to eat the small ones sprouting up after using the kalk brands I listed above to get the big ones. I think this 2 part task will solve your goal of eliminating them all together.

crvz
11/22/2008, 07:24 PM
I think the peps are the best bet, and if you're getting some in 2 weeks the aiptasia shouldnt over-run the tank. If you can't wait, or they don't pan out as you expect, get a product such as aiptasia-x. I've heard good things about that one.

adriangtz
11/22/2008, 11:49 PM
i made kalk paste today and it seemed to work. I wont know untill the mourning when i check on it.

bunzaroo
11/23/2008, 08:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13797839#post13797839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by singold
They may not eat the bigger Aiptasia but will eat the smaller ones. You can get "Joe's Juice" or "Aiptasia Control by Blue Life" for the bigger ones. The are both basically a Kalk mixture that you use a syringe to squirt some in the top of the Aiptasia petal. It sucks it in and dissolves literally almost immediately. I used this for a long time. But they kept growing back. So I got Peppermint shrimp to eat the small ones sprouting up after using the kalk brands I listed above to get the big ones. I think this 2 part task will solve your goal of eliminating them all together.

I usually get rid of the bigger ones w/ Aptasia X, it works well, but they just seem to sprout somewhere else. I always have 2 or 3 three of them somwhere in the tank but they are always under control. I guess a 2 part solution would work.

tmz
11/23/2008, 10:18 AM
I use peppermint shrimp(lysmata wurdermanni) and kalk paste. Mix a small amount of water with a much kalk as you can put in and still keep a liquid cositancy, Use a syringe from a test kit and dribble it over the mouth of the aiptasia and cover it. The dense liquid turns to a gell as it leaves the syringe and reacts to the saltwater.Best used in low current.If any floats onto a coral blow it off.

Biggum
11/23/2008, 10:29 AM
Pepps worked for me though I'm in the process of hunting them down now. Watch out should they run out of Aiptasia to eat if they're even interested in it. Mine have torn apart a couple of my corals.

tmz
11/23/2008, 10:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13801626#post13801626 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Biggum
Pepps worked for me though I'm in the process of hunting them down now. Watch out should they run out of Aiptasia to eat if they're even interested in it. Mine have torn apart a couple of my corals. :) I've seen them do that too.