PDA

View Full Version : Best Paint?

usfpaul82
11/22/2008, 09:53 PM
Is there a certain kind of paint I should use to paint the back of a tank black? Thanks.

MeuserReef
11/22/2008, 10:57 PM
Personally..... I use 2.5% window tint. Paint has always ended up chipping off on me.

mfinn
11/23/2008, 09:52 AM
I've always used krylon spray paint. I figure a couple bucks difference between the most expensive and the cheapest spray paints was nothing considering the total cost of everything.
I've seen a few people advocate using a latex roll on paint.
I've never personally tried it, but as long as it lays down a layer of paint,,, why not?

On my last tank I put in 1/4" blue acrylic on the inside of the glass.

MaryG
11/23/2008, 10:09 AM
I just used the Krylon royal blue. It turned out great. Just make sure it uses state it will work on glass.

Phyxius
11/23/2008, 11:40 AM
I`ve use both roll on and spray on and they both work fine.

I prefer the Rustoleum oil based in the qt can and roll it on with a small disposable roller. It takes 2 coats and its done. It doesn't chip off easily and is a uniform look when done when viewing from the front of the tank.
I have done a few 20g QT tanks and a larger DT tank with the Krylon spray and it took a few more coats to get it done and it will look blotchy if not coated well. It also seems to chip off a little easier. It does dry much faster than the above method though.

Either way you cant go wrong when you give it enough coats. Just make sure to clean the glass and then mask off and cover anything you don't want to get paint on. It also doesn't matter if you go glossy or not as the paint color will look glossy when looking at it through the glass in the front.....