PDA

View Full Version : sea horse diseases

blaze2
11/23/2008, 01:30 AM
I was just trying to find out if someone could tell me the 3 most common seahorse diseases in a aquarium and if you could tell me about them. Also maybe how to treat for that disease.

pledosophy
11/23/2008, 01:42 AM
Bacterial infection, one of many bacteria's come into play.

Most common treatment is 10 days with a neomycin and triple sulpha combo combined with temp's below 69F and a supplementation of foods with beta glucan. A bit more to it but that is the jist.

Gas bubble disease is common. Treatment is usually a diamox bath or flush but removing the cause of excessive C02 has been shown to work in some cases. Also deep water in excess of 4' has shon to help in some cases.

Internal parasites would be the other common one. Combines treatments of panacur and fenbedazole have shown to work, in conjunction with fresh water dips, however not all parasites can be removed this way.

HTH

DanU
11/25/2008, 10:04 PM
Prevention is the key. A properly sized tank, with good flow and filtration, temperature in the lower 70's, proper tankmates and stress free environment combined with proper feeding and diet goes a long at prevention.

Dan