PDA

View Full Version : DIY overflow/sump/return questions

Siscim23
11/23/2008, 12:59 PM
I'm making my own overflow and return, and I already have the sump made and ready to go. I bought one those acrylic beta tanks for my overflow, the corner one that's triangle shaped with the divider, I'm gonna use that as what the overflow syphons into. I have a QuietOne 4000 high head for return which is supposed to push about 700-750 gph at the 4 feet I'm going to have it at. I plan to have two 1.25" U-tubes for the overflow. What minimum size hose/PVC should I have to go from the overflow to the sump to have more than 800 gph? I would like to use a 1.25" hose because that's what I'm getting for the return, but I'm not sure if that would provide enough flow.

For the return, since it is a lot of flow for a 29 gallon, I plan to have flexible PVC hose to the rear of the tank, put my check valve there, then have a Y split, and have the pipes run to the left and right sides of the tank. Second question is, would one return nozzle on each side of the tank be enough, or should i put one of the Y nozzles on each side to ultimately distribute the return flow over 4 nozzles?

Thanks in advance.