PDA

View Full Version : Sphaeromatid Isopod Question

fareforce
11/23/2008, 11:40 PM
I am not quite sure were to ask this, but my tank has sphaeromatid isopods in it. I read about them here (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/index.php), but still have a few questions.

I know they are suppose to be harmless scavangers, but they like hiding in my zoas during the day to get out of the light, and it is starting to irratate the zoas. Is there a way to get rid of them in my tank?

REEF-n-Chicago
11/23/2008, 11:49 PM
no idea but tagging along :)

fareforce
11/24/2008, 10:11 AM
Anyone? Man were is Ron Shimek when you need him? lol Anyone know how to get ahold of him?

wshfulthkn
11/24/2008, 10:23 AM
Just a crazy thought, but could you give them a different place to hide? Maybe place a container with filter floss (maybe macro algea) and see if they are attracted to it versus the zoas. May need some bait like a piece of shrimp for them to scavange.

Just a thought...good luck!

chris4869
11/24/2008, 10:27 AM
I think Interceptor will kill them along with your shrimps and crabs, but I wouldn't recommend it. They're useful in your tank. Wrasse and mandarin will eat them too.

Personally, I rather keep my pods and kill my zoas. :)

fareforce
11/24/2008, 12:51 PM
Are you sure a mandarin will eat them? I thought they would be to big for them.

fareforce
11/24/2008, 07:35 PM
bump

WaterKeeper
11/24/2008, 08:04 PM
Hey this is the Newbie forum. If you know about the Sphaeromatidae , YOU should be telling us what to do. :D

Sorry to say there really isn't anything you can add to a display tank to kill isopods without damaging all the inverts and probably the LR in doing so. Usually, predation by fish is the main way they are eliminated. Most bottom feeders, like gobies, will consume them if they are small enough. Larger ones may need the reefer to use a red flashlight at night and try to catch them by hand, not an easy task. If you have a refugium they may work their way into that and then tearing the fuge down is about the only answer. Wish I had better ideas but I'm at a loss for a reliable cure.

WaterKeeper
11/24/2008, 08:09 PM
BTW-Doc Ron's Website (http://www.ronshimek.com/)

fareforce
11/25/2008, 01:22 AM
Thanks waterkeeper! I will drop Ron a line, and see what he comes up with and post back here. I am not overly worried about removing them completely from the tank as they are scavengers, and not fish killers.

I will keep everyone posted.

Crustman
11/25/2008, 07:01 AM
Some of the sphaeromatid isopods that I have seen from south Florida samples are found in sponges and encrysting tunicates. I can think of a common species, Paracerceis caudata that you might get from Florida live rock. Males of this species have elongate falcate uropods. They should be harmless scavengers and have been found in sponges. They are not hard to catch and you could do this with a turkey baster. If you took a synthetic sponge and hollowed out little caverns in it; they may take to this and you could remove them. Other sphaeromatids are borers and found in wood but I am sure you don't have these in your tank.

Crustman
11/25/2008, 07:07 AM
If your live rock was taken from Florida or the Caribbean I can recommend the publication by Kensley and Schotte. Isopods of the Caribbean and other adjacent areas, for taxonomic descriptions. Brian Kensley is deceased but he was a great crustacean scientist at the Smithsonian. Harrieta faxoni is another common sphaeromatid of this area.

WaterKeeper
11/25/2008, 08:17 AM
Finally, a man who knows his pods. ;)

But not a word on how to rub them out.:uzi:

fareforce
11/25/2008, 02:14 PM
My rock can from several different places. I did put carribean rubble in the tank. I also have Fiji, Tonga Branch, Hatian, and some other stuff. Also, some of the isopods also do have elongate falcate uropods which leads me to believe they came from the carribean rubble.

Do you think a dragonet such as a Synchiropus splendidus (Green Mandarin) would eat these since they range from 1mm - 5mm max?

WaterKeeper
11/25/2008, 07:13 PM
I'd give it a shot.

fareforce
11/25/2008, 07:26 PM
I think I will have to try it! I am also going to post this question to Ron over on marine depots forum. I will kep you guys posted on the findings! :D