PDA

View Full Version : Question for those engineer types...... building a stand.

drummereef
11/24/2008, 01:11 PM
Will two 2x6 boards laminated together be able to span 6 feet without sag under a 180g tank? The tank is a Marineland with a braced rim.

This is an inwall design so the front and two sides will have 2x4 framing below. I'm trying to get away with no center brace on the back side where I will have access to the sump.

Here's a rough pic of the design.....

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/drummereef/Equipment/180TankStand.jpg

MSU Fan
11/24/2008, 01:42 PM
Looks fine to me - but I would check the DIY stand calculator thread for confirmation.

DIY Stands Calculator (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1169964)

RedEDGE2k1
11/24/2008, 03:43 PM
Yes, it will work fine, especially with the center/back brace in your drawing.

A 180g tank full of water and live rock is heavy, relative to most peoples' idea of "heavy." However, it's not a lot of weight for that structure. With that much wood in place, the structure won't even notice the weight.

RedEDGE2k1
11/24/2008, 03:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13809570#post13809570 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RedEDGE2k1
Yes, it will work fine, especially with the center/back brace in your drawing.

A 180g tank full of water and live rock is heavy, relative to most peoples' idea of "heavy." However, it's not a lot of weight for that structure. With that much wood in place, the structure won't even notice the weight.

That being said, you could just build the stand out of 3/4" plywood alone, no 2x members needed. Would be much easier that way, and besides, you'll be skinning the 2x frame later anyway. Why not do it all in one step?

drummereef
11/24/2008, 10:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13809585#post13809585 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RedEDGE2k1
That being said, you could just build the stand out of 3/4" plywood alone, no 2x members needed. Would be much easier that way, and besides, you'll be skinning the 2x frame later anyway. Why not do it all in one step?

Great, thanks for the ideas. No skinning necessary here as it will be in the sump room. Like I said its an inwall design so all that will be seen from the front is the tank.

I'll check that calc for sure. :)