PDA

View Full Version : Minimum light requirements

Dusko
11/25/2008, 03:18 AM
Hi all,

I am planning to start a 48 galls long reef with leather corals ans other easy softies.

I had a nano reef which I have sold last year.

The tank I am about to purchase is designed for freshwater and has 2x 39 watts t-5's HO so gives me about 1.6 w/g

Did anyone grow soft/leather corals succesfully under less than 1.8 watts per gall?

Kind regards, Dusko

JBM
11/25/2008, 09:52 AM
iirc the light spectrum for fresh water is different than that for salt water corals.... i would look into getting new/ different bulbs

Dusko
11/25/2008, 01:22 PM
Hi JBM,
I know that ;) I am getting one 20.000 K Blue Act. and one 15.000 K white both HO.

But still I am wondering will that be enough light to grow the Leather/soft corals like Sinularia, Anthelia, Lobophyton, Xenia, Mushrooms and Zoanthus ?

Thanks.

Regards, Dusko

joesfiddy
11/25/2008, 04:04 PM
do you just want your corals to live or to thrive? if you just want them to live you should be alright but if you want them to grow i would get more light.

AqUaCHiC
11/26/2008, 02:40 AM
Agreed. These corals grow much faster with more light :) Good luck!

Dusko
11/26/2008, 02:14 PM
do you just want your corals to live or to thrive?

Well :) I don't want my corals to die ;)

The reason I ask about the minimum light requirement is because I live on the top floor (4th) and have HUGE problems with heat during the summer time (up to 31' Celsius).

The reason I ask about the minimum light requirement is because I know for example that plants can grow under lower watt per gall, yes slower but still they are growing/thriving.

Agreed. These corals grow much faster with more light

I am kind of expecting to get an answer from a member with such low light experience, someone who grew/kept leather/soft corals with or under 1.8 wpg with certain success or total catastrophe :) both count.

No worries though I am not starting this project soon and have enough time to wait for such a member :)

I thank you for replying though.

Kind regards, Dusko

Siscim23
11/26/2008, 03:40 PM
By saying "live or thrive?" joe means that having them under such low lighting will be just enough to keep them alive. With more lighting it will cause them to grow. But yes I believe the lighting you want to provide is enough for them to live. As far as growth, if there is any, it will be minimal.