PDA

View Full Version : 29g Biocube at 8 months

rjwilson37
11/25/2008, 03:33 PM
Things are going good. I am at 8 months now and still having a little bit of a nutrient problem. I will have to get some antired or something to cut off the ciano.

http://www.planetrj.com/reefaquarium/docs/aquarium/biocube/20081125biocube.jpg

http://www.planetrj.com/reefaquarium/docs/aquarium/biocube/corals/buttonpolyps112508.jpg

http://www.planetrj.com/reefaquarium/docs/aquarium/biocube/corals/frillymushroom112508.jpg

http://www.planetrj.com/reefaquarium/docs/aquarium/biocube/corals/frogspawn092208.jpg

http://www.planetrj.com/reefaquarium/docs/aquarium/biocube/corals/mushrooms112508.jpg

rjwilson37
11/25/2008, 03:34 PM
I don't know what this is next to the Ricordea. It was small a month ago, and now it is bluming up. It is almost a neon red and very sweet.

Does anyone know what this is?

http://www.planetrj.com/reefaquarium/docs/aquarium/biocube/corals/newitem112508.jpg

justinl
11/25/2008, 03:51 PM
nice softy tank! the thing beside the ric is red algae... can't remember which, but reef safe anyways. and pretty to boot.

you have a plan for when that copper banded outgrows the tank? is it eating prepared foods?

wshfulthkn
11/25/2008, 03:54 PM
nice tank!

Acan Lord
11/25/2008, 04:11 PM
Great thank love the shrooms

Jerm77
11/25/2008, 04:19 PM
Awesome!

I only hope my tank turns out that good.

rjwilson37
11/25/2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks everyone.

The copper banded will only get 8" for max size, it should be ok in here I'm thinking. He eats Marine Cuisine and sometimes eats the Formula 2 flake.

I do one water change a month and clean the sides of the tank 2 times a week. This system is pretty maintenance free for the most part. I change out the carbon in the carbon bag every 2 weeks or so.

rjwilson37
11/25/2008, 05:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13816981#post13816981 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by justinl
nice softy tank! the thing beside the ric is red algae... can't remember which, but reef safe anyways. and pretty to boot. I can touch it and move it around and it is still permanently attached to the rock. Almost like it is some kind of rock anemone or something.

justinl
11/25/2008, 06:12 PM
what do you mean it retracts like an anemone? or that it is just flexible? if the latter, it's algae.

you have to realize that a CBB's minimum tank size is 75g. at least to me; Ive heard as little as 55g, but i kinda disagree with that. Your CBB has very little time before an upgrade is needed. not recommended, needed. what part of you is really convinced an 8" active swimmer will be at all comfortable in a 30g?

edit: and you clean the tank once a month? sigh. paging all flamers.

widmer
11/25/2008, 06:13 PM
Well the tank looks excellent. Really happy-looking softies. I bet the cyano will eventually go away; it did in mine without me changing anything. IMO 8" is way too big of a fish to put in a biocube, you might want to trade the CBB in...either way it's adding a lot of nutrients to the system.

Slakker
11/25/2008, 06:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13817661#post13817661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rjwilson37
The copper banded will only get 8" for max size, it should be ok in here I'm thinking.

Wait...what?

The BC29 is 20x19x20...the CBB will be nearly half the length of your tank at full size.

The good news is, you don't have to worry about it getting that big. The bad news is that it will almost certainly die before it has a chance.

plyle02
11/25/2008, 06:42 PM
Your tank is very stunning, I really love the softy look with that setup... I agree with above statements regarding the CBB being too small for that tank, I have a 40 cube, thought about a juvenile to help give more bioload to the tank and pick off some aptasia, but decided not to due to future growth... Either way, I am sure you will figure it out, by the look of things your husbandry skills are definitely up to par, so keep up the great work....

rjwilson37
11/26/2008, 05:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13817810#post13817810 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by justinl
what do you mean it retracts like an anemone? or that it is just flexible? if the latter, it's algae.

edit: and you clean the tank once a month? sigh. paging all flamers. I never said it retracted.

What is up with this childish behavior... paging all flamers. Are you like trying to tattle on me.... Grow up!

A friend of mine has a CBB and it never really leaves the right side of his 60g corner tank.

unbreakable
11/26/2008, 06:10 PM
looks nice, but a CBB in a 28g tank??

jmadison
11/26/2008, 06:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13817661#post13817661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rjwilson37
The copper banded will only get 8" for max size, it should be ok in here I'm thinking. I'm not trying to be rude, but did you read what you just wrote? Just b/c a fish physically fits in an aquarium doesn't make it suitable.

Otherwise i think your tank has seasoned nicely.

rjwilson37
11/27/2008, 08:12 AM
Hmm... You guys are probably right. I got him to take care of some aptasia and he will probably have to come out. I am planning an in wall tank in the future, but it is probably to far off to help this little guy as he matures.

justinl
11/27/2008, 09:33 AM
so why did you say it was "Almost like it is some kind of rock anemone or something"?

"childish behavior"? lol, Im sorry, but I have to point out that I am not the one with a CBB in a 29g tank and have no plan to get it into a suitable tank. I don't give half a rat's *** about tattling on you others who would flame you, but it really annoys me when people don't do PROPER research and end up with a living organism in an unsuitable home. "My friend thinks that it will work" does not count.

You have obviously learned how to maintain a nice softy tank, so kudos for that. Can't take that away from you, but that is only one aspect of the hobby. Dealing with delicate fish is a whole new ball game. Not one that I any vast expertise in, but i know enough that what you're doing rings a warning bell.

rjwilson37
11/27/2008, 11:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13828097#post13828097 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by justinl
so why did you say it was "Almost like it is some kind of rock anemone or something"?

"childish behavior"? lol, Im sorry, but I have to point out that I am not the one with a CBB in a 29g tank and have no plan to get it into a suitable tank. I don't give half a rat's *** about tattling on you others who would flame you, but it really annoys me when people don't do PROPER research and end up with a living organism in an unsuitable home. "My friend thinks that it will work" does not count.

You have obviously learned how to maintain a nice softy tank, so kudos for that. Can't take that away from you, but that is only one aspect of the hobby. Dealing with delicate fish is a whole new ball game. Not one that I any vast expertise in, but i know enough that what you're doing rings a warning bell.

Oh well... It is my tank and I can do what I want with it. People do new things all the time in this hobby, breaking the barriers and making almost anything possible that was never possible before. I have been keeping saltwater tanks for over 6 years and have had a multitude of tanks in that time. I have always tried to do a little out of the norm and have had pretty good success. If you go to my website, you can see the 90/55/29/24 gallon tanks that I have had over the years. My 55g tank was tank of the month on Ultimate Reef about 4 years ago.

I am not sure what you mean by unstable tank. My tank has zero nitrates, sits petty stable at 80 degrees, 11 dkh, low in phosphates and everything/everyone is pretty darn healthy as you can see.

I like a low maintenance tank right now, which pretty much means softies. You can see that my frogspawn is doing extemely well and has grown a ton. I have a pretty prestine tank running with just the stock equipment that comes in a 29g biocube. The cleaner and coral banded shrimp molt on a regular basis, which also means the tank is healthy.

Overall, I feel pretty good about my tank and you and know one else can take that away from me, no matter how much you flame or tattle on someone doing something that you or most don't agree with. Changes to older meathods and just trying different things is what has taken this hobby so much farther than it once was.

I like being a little different than others, to sometimes show how you can do different things and have a beautiful piece of reef in you home without breaking the bank.

rjwilson37
11/27/2008, 11:50 AM
Are you sure the red thing by the blue ricordea is algae. I looked all over the web and it is not posted or talked about anywhere. Do you know anyone else that has something like this.

I said rock anemone, because it is attached to a rock and it is rubbery like an anemone of some kind.

Jflip2002
11/27/2008, 12:02 PM

Jflip2002
11/27/2008, 12:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13828935#post13828935 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rjwilson37

I like being a little different than others, to sometimes show how you can do different things and have a beautiful piece of reef in you home without breaking the bank.

TOTALLY different things. You can start your own revolution. You can try new things. You can do it yourself. There are ways where things can be done differently. I mean SOMEONE had to go BB when people said itd never work, right? Someone had to make up this CRAZY device they called a protein skimmer.

What you are doing is not revolutionary, ground breaking, out of the norm, etc. What it is, is putting a fish with potential to be WAY too large, in a tank that is a NANO. Do you know why they call them NANO tanks? Because they are SMALL. They are meant for NANO fish. Not fish getting up to 8".

This is as irritating as the guy with the Powder Blue in his Nano tank, and was getting rid of him. Then once the tang died before he was gone, people applauded him for TRYING to get rid of it. No, it doesnt work like that.

Also, just because the tank is 29g or whatever it is, doesnt mean thats the tank he has to swim in. Look at all the coral and rock. That for all intensive purposes is a 10g as far as swimming room is concerned.

Just keep in mind, just because you bought the fish, doesnt necessarily mean you can do with it whatever you please. Thats why our hobby gets a bad reputation.

mg426
11/27/2008, 12:09 PM
Nice job !!!!!

rjwilson37
11/27/2008, 01:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13829080#post13829080 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jflip2002
TOTALLY different things. You can start your own revolution. You can try new things. You can do it yourself. There are ways where things can be done differently. I mean SOMEONE had to go BB when people said itd never work, right? Someone had to make up this CRAZY device they called a protein skimmer.

What you are doing is not revolutionary, ground breaking, out of the norm, etc. What it is, is putting a fish with potential to be WAY too large, in a tank that is a NANO. Do you know why they call them NANO tanks? Because they are SMALL. They are meant for NANO fish. Not fish getting up to 8".

This is as irritating as the guy with the Powder Blue in his Nano tank, and was getting rid of him. Then once the tang died before he was gone, people applauded him for TRYING to get rid of it. No, it doesnt work like that.

Also, just because the tank is 29g or whatever it is, doesnt mean thats the tank he has to swim in. Look at all the coral and rock. That for all intensive purposes is a 10g as far as swimming room is concerned.

Just keep in mind, just because you bought the fish, doesnt necessarily mean you can do with it whatever you please. Thats why our hobby gets a bad reputation. There are people that say that a Blue Tang should be in no less than a 125g long tank, and yet people put them in a 75g tank and have great success with them. This is a fish that loves to swim and people have them in smaller than normal tanks with great success.

Hmm... So... If I keep a CBB in this tank and it lives for years, that is nothing new. I am not breaking new ground... then why is everyone flaming me for it if it has already been done.

rjwilson37
11/27/2008, 01:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13829090#post13829090 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mg426
Nice job !!!!! Thanks mg426

Jflip2002
11/27/2008, 02:10 PM
Its not breaking new ground, because its not an advancement. Cool, you jammed a big fish in a tank smaller than most peoples sumps. Im not even picky on what goes in what size tank usually. But there are times its so obvious, you cant help but speak up. Good luck with that poor fish. I dont want to see a post asking why your CBB died.

DCG1286
11/27/2008, 03:23 PM
Absolutely beautiful tank!!! The CBB just looks completely out of place in there. :D

Great job otherwise!

Ritten
11/27/2008, 03:42 PM
Hi RJ. Haven't seen you around in awhile. Tank looks great as always!

rjwilson37
11/27/2008, 05:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13830043#post13830043 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ritten
Hi RJ. Haven't seen you around in awhile. Tank looks great as always! Thanks Ritten. It looks like I am starting trouble again by doing something out of the normal fish in a normal sized tank and such. I had a Blue Tang in a 30g, then moved up to a 55g, then up to a 90g and people still said my tank was to small for the tang. You can never really win when you do something out of the normal accepted. I think I read something when they said the Wright Brothers were crazy to think they could fly.

Anything is possible in this hobby, it is seen all the time in some of the TOTM's and posts we see every day here at reefcentral.

rjwilson37
11/27/2008, 05:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13829995#post13829995 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DCG1286
Absolutely beautiful tank!!! The CBB just looks completely out of place in there. :D

Great job otherwise! Thanks DCG1286. I think it is a beautiful fish as well as still quite small at about 3".

DCG1286
11/27/2008, 06:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13830382#post13830382 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rjwilson37
Thanks DCG1286. I think it is a beautiful fish as well as still quite small at about 3".

Fish seems healthy...but will inevitably outgrow that system (i am sure you know that)...but it looks like you know what you are doing. :D Congrats again on the tank!

-David

Moonstream
11/27/2008, 06:42 PM
guys, chill. would I personally keep a CBB in a tank this small? hell no, but it isn't my tank, or your tank. it is rjwilson37's tank, and he can do what he wants with it. you need to trust people's judgment a bit. he will do what he feels is best for the fish, regardless of getting flamed or not. (though, as a thought, I would remove the fish, just me though).

anyways, nice tank! you always have the most amazing tanks! I loved the other one you had, which used to house the eel!

rjwilson37
11/27/2008, 09:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13830618#post13830618 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Moonstream
guys, chill. would I personally keep a CBB in a tank this small? hell no, but it isn't my tank, or your tank. it is rjwilson37's tank, and he can do what he wants with it. you need to trust people's judgment a bit. he will do what he feels is best for the fish, regardless of getting flamed or not. (though, as a thought, I would remove the fish, just me though).

anyways, nice tank! you always have the most amazing tanks! I loved the other one you had, which used to house the eel! Thanks Moonstream. It was definately a sad day to see the Eel go. He was getting pretty big/thick and I figured he should go to someones nice big tank. That is when I decided to just go a different way and try something a little different.

I got a couple cleaner shrimp, a coral banded shrimp, an emerald crab, a skunk clown, a royal gramma, a neon goby, a green clown goby and of course the new addition of the Copper Banded Butterfly. I did like my Eel a lot and had him for almost 4 years. It was definately hard to let him go, but I figured I would do what was best for him. He use to swim through my hands when I would clean the tank, he was so slick and cool. :)

rjwilson37
11/27/2008, 10:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13829741#post13829741 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jflip2002
Its not breaking new ground, because its not an advancement. Cool, you jammed a big fish in a tank smaller than most peoples sumps. Im not even picky on what goes in what size tank usually. But there are times its so obvious, you cant help but speak up. Good luck with that poor fish. I dont want to see a post asking why your CBB died. You just crack me up Jflip2002... You talk the talk, but don't walk the walk either. Just because you have a 115g tank does not mean that it is big enough to throw a tang in there. I use to get flamed for my tang in a 90g 4ft long tank and you have some, not just one, in a 3x3 tank.