PDA

View Full Version : Help - Tank of Death

rookiedave
11/25/2008, 05:12 PM
I moved out to my new place on sat and went to move my 12 gallon nano cube yesterday (mon). For some reason, I lost power to the tank. I unplugged the power and pluged it back in and everything came back on, but may be too late.

It smelt really bad and worms were floating dead everywhere. My corals don't look very good. Snails and crabs all dead. No fish (thank God) in the tank.

I'm letting it run till Friday to see if anything comes back to life. There is no telling how long after saterday the power went out.

Is it helpless to try and save anything? Do you think the sand and rocks are all dead now? Should I start over. Help!!!!!

CoRPS
11/25/2008, 05:19 PM
The only thing you can do is wait and perform frequent water changes. Do a couple parameter checks every couple days and see if there ended up bieng a secondary cycle.

IslandCrow
11/25/2008, 05:20 PM
Do some large water changes, and you should be able to save the rock (the bacteria are having a field day right now), and possibly even some of the corals. I'd initially do about a 50% water change, and then daily 10% water changes for a week. Those numbers aren't based on anything other than me taking a wild guess. Obviously, remove anything that's dead.

losthere
11/25/2008, 05:20 PM
Agreed do a WC and wait.

rookiedave
11/25/2008, 06:29 PM
OK...thanks.

93292_FishGuy
11/26/2008, 01:42 AM
Water changes and maybe some carbon!

deejeff442
11/26/2008, 06:23 AM
do you have sand or cc?stirring up a sand bed will create a bacteria problem.i would make up some new water and get new ls and start over .the corals dont need the cycle like fish do.
put the corals in a bucket with new saltwater while you change out the tank.luckily it is a small tank.cc doesnt stir up as bad as sand.