PDA

View Full Version : Heteractis magnifica lighting

angieg1123
11/25/2008, 10:33 PM
I have always used 250w MH's over my anemone tanks. I have a standard all glass 65g RR tank and I was wondering if T5's would be enough light for this anemone? I've never attempted to keep any anemone under t5's so I'm not sure how many lamps (39w each) I would need to keep the ritteri happy and healthy.

The only reason for switching the lighting is my electric bill is too high and my chiller is still running in November in Wisconsin, lol.

Thanks for any help.

Angie

Toddrtrex
11/25/2008, 10:45 PM
I have never kept a Mag, so take this for what it is worth.

From what I have read, Mags do better under MH because they are a point source light, so there is a bright spot. With T5s, there really isn't a bright spot, so the Mag would be more apt to move in search of more light.

How warm do you keep your place? I have 2*250 over my 58 ( same footprint as a 65 ), and I do fine with just a couple of clip on fans, even in the summer. Now that winter is here they almost never come on. As for the electric bill, I know that pain.

garygb
11/25/2008, 11:03 PM
I have two H. magnificas under 6 T5 HOs and they are doing fine. They are maybe 14 inches from the bulbs and I do not have an acrylic shield between the water and the anemones.

JJFly
11/25/2008, 11:13 PM
My ritteri is under T5/VHO Actinics. I put a rock pile in the center of the tank (strongest lighting for the T5 bulb) so the anemone's tips are just under the surface and my bulbs sit 6" from the surface of the water. I use 11K/6000K bulb pairs between pairs of VHO actinic.

Long story short, yes you can do it. T5 are individually reflected so you get more light directed into the tank. Measurements I've seen have them slightly stronger then 250W MH with a more even spread of light, no hot spots.

Slakker
11/25/2008, 11:21 PM
Anecdotal evidence would suggest that Magnificas prefer the hotspots...a lot of people find that their mags park themselves directly underneath the halide bulb, I've even heard of a few that experienced the nem wandering endlessly in a T5 lit tank until a halide was added, and then it found a spot right under it.

I've never kept one either, but everything I've ever read suggests that halides seem to be preferred for this species.

garygb
11/25/2008, 11:30 PM
Mine don't move at all under the T-5s. I suppose that there might be individual differences in H. magnificas depending on the type of conditions the anemone originated from in the wild. Some come from deeper or more turbid water, and therefore they might be less demanding of "hotspots" as MH provides.

angieg1123
11/26/2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks! Y'all are quick to respond. My house temp is about 78. I hate being cold and my heat is included in the rent so no worries there :) I guess I will stay with the MH for now. I may set up another tank and try one under T5's. I love the "shimmer" of my MH, but I love the T5's for cost and low heat.

Thanks again for the help.

Toddrtrex
11/26/2008, 12:02 AM
78!?!?!?! ;) 78 is when the A/C needs to be on.

I only turned my heat on last week, and set it to 65*.

Slakker
11/26/2008, 12:30 AM
My heat is included in the rent, too...it's 26* outside, and I have my window cracked.

redfishsc
11/27/2008, 12:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13819574#post13819574 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
I have 2*250 over my 58 ( same footprint as a 65 ), and I do fine with just a couple of clip on fans, even in the summer.

+1000!

I use a small fan on my nano, which would otherwise stay over 84F during the day, but with the fans on it, it stays at a constant 78 thanks to the good heater I have.

The fans will drive the tank temp even lower than the room temp if the heater isn't set at 78. Doesn't seem like it would, but evaporative cooling is very effective.

Plus it gives you a better chance to dose kalkwasser in your topoff..

WrinkleFreeZone
11/28/2008, 07:28 PM
I have two large H. mags in my reef and 2 400 W MHs over my tank. Each anemone was introduced to the bottom of my tank and they both moved to the highest spot on my rockwork just below the water's surface beneath each of the halides. To say that they are light seeking is an understatement.
-B