PDA

View Full Version : Dendrophyllia Losing Color

JohnDinSD
11/26/2008, 03:01 PM
My dendro used to be a very bright orange, but has faded to a pale yellow. It was under bright light, but I have since moved it to a shaded area. It is eating well and in the last month has developed multiple off spring that are growing rapidly. I feed mysis, krill and cyclopeez. How do I get the color back.
Thanks.

reelbadfish
12/12/2008, 08:14 PM
I am looking for the same answer... anyone?

aninjaatemyshoe
12/12/2008, 09:51 PM
I'm betting it is something missing in their diet.
You might try something that has astaxanthin like this:
http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c8/NatuRose-c64.html
or
http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/GP-300-500-Micron-Artemia-Replacement-c28.html

Or you could try mixing in some phytoplankton with the food. The phyto might provide whatever is missing in the food you provide.

I'm not sure whether astaxanthin is what these corals use to get the red pigmentation. But, it is certainly worth a shot. I've fed my sun corals golden pearls (GP diet) before and never had a problem. Just make sure to start with small amounts to make sure that your dendro reacts well to it.

aninjaatemyshoe
12/12/2008, 09:55 PM
As a side note, I've never had a problem with my sun corals or dendros loosing color. I'm not saying it was because I used golden pearls. I also dosed lots of phyto and fed everything a rather wide variety of food. So, I have no idea what was keeping their color, but I do know it is possible to keep them colored up.

slcw
12/14/2008, 11:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13823739#post13823739 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JohnDinSD
My dendro used to be a very bright orange, but has faded to a pale yellow. It was under bright light, but I have since moved it to a shaded area. It is eating well and in the last month has developed multiple off spring that are growing rapidly. I feed mysis, krill and cyclopeez. How do I get the color back.
Thanks.

Based on what I gathered from the net, I read that off springs could a means of survival when the colony is not doing well.

But I am not seasoned dendro keeper, perhaps those who have some experience can shine some light.