PDA

View Full Version : Blue Hippo turned yellow

coralcracker
11/26/2008, 09:43 PM
This evening I was watching my hippo and thinking how good it was looking when it deciding do do something I had not seen before. The black coloring on it's sides faded and the yellow from it's tail took over. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this and what it means. Was the fish scared or something?

BangkokMatt
11/26/2008, 09:58 PM
It was either stressing or getting aggressive (maybe towards it's own reflection) Colour changes are perfectly normal.
Many Tangs will change colouring during the night as well.

coralcracker
11/27/2008, 09:18 PM
Yeah I thought it would be something like that. It was interesting though how it did that. I had no idea a fish could change a dark coloring like black to yellow. When it did it though I was kind of wondering if afterwards I was going to find it breaking out with ick again since I just finished treating it from bringing it home and it developing ick from the journey. The salesman told me these fish are highly exciteable and have frequent ick, and also after purchasing mine I saw a few others with it and dying from it in other stores

wordwarrior
11/28/2008, 12:33 AM
The blue hippo or regal tang, like many tangs, is prone to contacting ich. I'd suggest one or maybe a couple of cleaner shrimp if you don't already have any. They help keep your tang and other fish that will allow them very clean of parasites, including ich.

Amazon4
11/28/2008, 08:13 PM
If it was close to lights out he was getting ready to turn in for the night. Ours will go almost white in some areas, including around his mouth. It's actually disturbing to see because it looks like they are sick. Then the next morning his colors are fine.

I read or heard some where that they release a slime cloating that masks then from sharks hunting at night while they are tucked in the rocks.

thegyft07
11/29/2008, 10:45 AM
that is cool. real cool. especially to watch