PDA

View Full Version : can lead be used for net?

Ralph ATL
11/27/2008, 06:48 PM
I've been trying to get a yellow tang out of my 55 for a year now. Every other fish has been trapped (most were let go, of course), however, this guy just won't get captured. I've tried both fish traps (one worked great for a chomis, and the tall skinny from Drs. F&S got a Talbot's yesterday!), light off method, not feeding, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah! I can't empty my water, clams are on a "shelf" near the top.

OK, I have this dumb, desperate idea. He sleeps behind a wall that is next to the tank wall. It goes almost to the top of tank. It has 2 outlets. 18 inch high by 4 inches wide, or a 5 inch round cave in the front. I can plug the cave. I was thinking of a drop net for guppies and buying some weights. Of course the weights are lead. Thirsty minutes in the tank at most, I'm thinking before i can scare him in the net. who knows. Maybe I can drop another one on him while that exist is blocked off.

Any suggestions or concerns!

Freed
11/27/2008, 06:54 PM
What do you mean the others have been "let go"?

Ralph ATL
11/27/2008, 07:10 PM
I fired them due to economic conditions...............I let them go free!!! out of the device back in my tank! LOL!

swearint
11/28/2008, 06:53 AM
Not sure about your overall plan or if lead would be a problem for such a short time, but you could use glass marbles or beads instead and not worry about it.

Todd

HighlandReefer
11/28/2008, 07:04 AM
How to Catch Fish and Critters in Displays: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=707656

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/28/2008, 07:37 AM
I can't say if 30 minutes is an issue or not. Probably not, but I'd probably use something else, like stainless steel nuts and bolts from Home Depot, or just pebbles.

Ralph ATL
11/28/2008, 08:58 AM
Yeah, good idea. I can also use epoxy puddy. Or cover stainless with it. Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/28/2008, 09:22 AM
You're welcome.

Good luck with the fish! :)

Ralph ATL
11/29/2008, 10:28 PM
freakin net worked!!!!!!!!!!! no lead!!!! yeah!!!!!

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/30/2008, 08:19 AM
:thumbsup:

Good to hear. Removing a fish is one of the most challenging things we face. :)

Ralph ATL
11/30/2008, 08:39 AM
FYI: It didn't work as planned, but it worked. I bought a guppy drop net for 12bucks. It was stiffer than I liked, so I cut a couple of small pieces out of it. I used it to make partitions out of it. This made the tangs area smaller & smaller.