PDA

View Full Version : Blastomussa health...

Hyphy831
11/27/2008, 11:24 PM
I got a really sweet PPE blasto colony but it arrived in the mail yesterday and i'm already noticing a little receeding...All the other corals (mostly LPS) are lookin goog...it's a really nice piece i'd like to save it.

My question is what do these corals tend to feed on? So I can nurse it back to health? And should i descrese the flow? (move it to a shady spot)

All blasto keepers input is greathttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/zanoshano/blasto1.jpgly appreciated.

nikon187
11/28/2008, 04:58 AM
looks nice..Also looks like a wellsi. You can feed it some mysis,cyclopeeze,reef roids. They seem to enjoy the light and lower flow ( all mine are kept on the sand) what kind of lighting do you have them under?

Hyphy831
11/28/2008, 11:50 AM
They're in my NW9 g under 42w PC. I put them at the bottom of the rocks with pretty low flow and they didn't really open up too nicely the first day but now I have them placed under a ledge in a shady spot with hardly any flow and they seem to be liking it. They usually expand nicely at night and right when the lights come on and then retract a bit during the day. Is this usual?

Also, how exactly do you feed them? get in there with a turkey baster and turn off all the pumps? I'm just trying to find the most efficient way to do it cuz I got a 9g tank...I can't really let any of the food go un-eaten...Do they ever show sweeper tentacles or do you just place the shrimp on their mouths?

thanks guys

OARrocks
11/28/2008, 12:48 PM
Nice looking blasto!

Feed it what nikon said. I would feed mysis as with your small tank size smaller foods will blow around every where polluting the water. Turn off the pumps and place the mysis directly on the mouth and if they dont take that, then place it on the fringe/skirt. That part of them is sticky like a feeder tentacle and will bring it to the mouth. I can only feed mine during the day because thats the only time they are inflated enough to grab onto any food.

Mine expand during the day and contract at night, like most corals. Perhaps give them time.

Cheers

nikon187
11/28/2008, 01:04 PM
yes give them time. Mine all open fully during the day and close at night. Yeah you can just use a turkey baster and shut your pumps off. You should see small tenticles coming off the rim of the blasto, just feed there and they will do the rest

Hyphy831
11/28/2008, 02:53 PM
thanks a lot guys