PDA

View Full Version : Prodibio with Ozone and UV

cybrsufr
11/27/2008, 11:53 PM
This may be a stupid question but wanted to get some sort of consensus on the subject.

I had been using Prodibio Biodigest and BioOptim in my 90 Gallon reef with a 40W UV and having great success. I recently (4months ago) upgraded to a 180G with 120G total sump volume. I have been using the BioDigest and BioOptim since first filling the tank but have not noticed the same improvements in NO3 and PO4 as I was getting in the 90G. The only difference is that I am now using Ozone through my skimmer. After reading several threads on Prodibio, Zeo, VSV, etc. I have not been able to find a clear answer on whether or not the Ozone is making my ProdiBio dosing worthless or not. I am not a newbie when it comes to reef aquaria, chemistry, or biology and I understand that O3 will increase the skimming capacity of organics in the system. However would the bacteria from the bacterial driven systems colonize the rock and sand and not get removed by the O3 running through the skimmer? So I gues the main question is to use the Ozone or not, what are some educated thoughts on this. I do not want a Zeo bash Prodi or VSV or vice versa thread out of this, just some SERIOUS information regarding the effects of using Ozone in a Bacterial Driven System as I really love the results in water clarity and algae/pest controls achieved with the use of Ozone but I cannot get my NO3 below 15 no matter what I do (BTW I do not overfeed so it is not from the feeding). Another variable could be that I used 120lbs of completely dry puccani rock to start the new system and it may just be that 4 months has not been enough time to get the tank fully inoculated with a good amount of denitrifying bacteria. What are your thoughts