PDA

View Full Version : 6201 magnet clips failing

rjrobert
11/28/2008, 08:14 PM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

2 things, Roger, FYI - the replaced 6201's have been working flawlessly for the last 6 months, so thank you on that.

I am however down to using only one of the three 6201's. The problem is that the plastic clips that attach the pump to the magnets are just not strong enough for continued wave generation. One of the clips that are broken is on the magnet itself. The other clip is the one that connects the pump to the magnet. I'm not looking to repair them since I have done that before. I would like to replace them with something that is stronger. I'm looking for recommendations. Until I have a replacement, I am going to try and take them out and epoxy the heck out of it to try and give it extra strength. The pumps angle down when the brackets start to give way and that puts flow directly on the coral, which in turn causes the coral to get irritated.

Appreciate everyone's help!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Bob Roberts :rollface:

iamwrasseman
11/28/2008, 10:22 PM
there is a "recall"on the holders for the pumps , my supplier gave me new generation ones that have been good for a year or more . the first ones broke within a couple of months . they made them out of plastic that was to brittle and now have them engineered a little more flexable . also the stainless impeller shafts on two of mine loosened and messed the pumps up they too were warenteed and replaced . it took 1 1/2 weeks to ship both ways the company was great to deal with and kept me a customer due to the ease of replacement . contact them asap and let them help you before you give up on them .i've had no problems after getting the new clips and pumps . i think they got all the bugs out and now its a good pump !

rjrobert
11/29/2008, 09:23 AM
That's good to hear. I'm a big fan, so no thoughts on leaving the Tunzes, besides 3 Tunze Stream 6201s and the magnetic holders is almost $2000 so their is no money left to do anything else :) All joking aside, Roger if what iamwrasseman says is true, how do I order three new sets of? I'm going to replace the magnets too, as the plastic failed on one of them as well.

Thanks so much!
Bob

shawnz28
11/29/2008, 07:39 PM
I believe what iamwrasseman is speaking of is his nanostreams not the full size streams. there have been a few reports I have seen of the sliders on the magnets having this problem when used on the 620x series. Not many but a few.

I believe this is what you are referring to happening
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1295002

rjrobert
11/29/2008, 08:01 PM
That is it exactly Shawn! Great reference. Other than a complete failure, the main issue is that it points the stream down and blows anything in its path. The three pumps are designed to work together to create a nice smooth wave. I designed it to use 2 streams, the third was a backup in case of failure. Being down to one doesn't give me the flow I would like, but I took out most of my SPS for now so it wasn't as big a deal. The Euphillia seem to be happy with just the one on. Since different parts are broken on the two pumps, I'm going to swith things around and then I should have 2 working pumps. I would just need a new magnet holder and a new clip that goes between the holder and the pump.

shawnz28
11/29/2008, 08:15 PM
Roger should chime in on Monday on what to do for replacement

rjrobert
11/29/2008, 08:43 PM
Actually Shawn, your last post gave me an idea and I have fixed it. All three pumps are now working. I forgot that both magnets have the holder clips. I just swiched whic maganet was in the water. Roger had also sent me a replacement part for the other piece that was broken, I just didn't think to switch the magnets from in to out.

Roger, if this is a systemic issue though, please let me know if their is a better method. Otherwise consider this an easy fix for your monday morning.

Shawn, thanks for the reference that gave me the idea.

Bob Roberts

rvitko
12/01/2008, 10:54 AM
Bob, worldwide we have sold over 10,000 of these magnet holders and we have replaced fewer than a few dozen for this problem, it is rare and we don't have an answer for what causes it. It could be particular to a batch where the plastic was thin or brittle or particular to a use, sharp angles, very rapid pulsing. It does seem to mainly occur with the 6200, 6201 which would lend support to the idea that it is a particular use, possibly in combination with a small defect but we don't have an answer.