PDA

View Full Version : What do you put under your DIY Aquarium?

kookerson
11/28/2008, 11:13 PM
I know that when you build an aquarium that doesnt have the plastic rim going around the top and bottom, like on the AGAs......you have to support the bottom of the tank with something? What is it and where can I get it? Somebody told me that carpet works, but to me that spells disaster...........

troylee
11/28/2008, 11:34 PM
I have my 150 gal acrylic tank just sitting on a piece of 1" medite or mdf some call it.... I don't understand what exactly you mean if it has no braces on top or bottom??? Someone said use carpet??? You lost me there how would carpet support it ??? I think I can help you if you are a little more clear what you need and what kind of tank is it?? Acrylic or glass???

windupdevl
11/29/2008, 12:12 AM
I use the 1" white insulation foam found at the hardware store...it comes in 4'x8' sheets so there is usually quite a bit left over....

noahm
11/29/2008, 03:26 PM
The foam used under wood flooring is about enough to cover anything that might put undue pressure on a single point, but honestly a smooth sheet of almost anything will do without even foam. A piece of felt would probably be ample. If your tank is acrylic or untempered, it needs a full flat sheet of subfloor though.

lamboraf
11/30/2008, 09:50 AM
Any high density stirofoam will do.