PDA

View Full Version : Glass-Hole vs. Off the Shelf Pre Drilled Tank

kernyboy
11/29/2008, 08:14 AM
Hey Guys,
I'm thinking about upgrading to a 55 to 75 gallon tank. I want an overflow with a sump. I can get a really good deal on a standard 55 to 75 tank without holes.

Should I just go with a glass-hole.com overflow that has a smaller footprint or with a standard overflow kit?

what are the pros and cons to this?

Alternatively I was looking into U-Tube hang on overflows, but I've been reading that those can loose siphon and flood a tank. (the cheapest solution)

The glass hole requires some DIY, but it looks like it takes up less room in the tank...which means more room for corals and goodies. Has anyone had experience with gl******* or glass hole like overflows?

Thanks

kernyboy
11/29/2008, 08:15 AM
sorry..the URL is http://www.glass-holes.com/ not glass-hole.

Bonneville08
11/29/2008, 08:43 AM
I would think the first question they would ask is the capacity of the pump you would use for the return from the sump. IMO, the most important factor when choosing an overflow is capacity. I've written to Scott at glass holes, and they are open to doing custom work as well.
The HOB siphons are prone to air voids and gradual loss of siphon IME, but this can be remedied by an aqualifter pump in most cases.
Given the choice, I would call glass holes, even if I had the tank drilled at a glass shop.
Good luck

Capt_Cully
11/29/2008, 08:53 AM
My friend just installed about 12 Glass-Holes.com overflows in his LFS. They are awesome. If I had it to do over again, I'd go for it. Low profile, heavy flow volume. Means more room for rocks, corals, fish, and VIEWING!

kernyboy
11/29/2008, 09:55 AM
on a 55 gallon or a 75...are all sides tempered? Or just the bottom?

kernyboy
11/29/2008, 09:58 AM
So how do you choose a return pump? is the flow you choose arbitrarty? based on some ratio? please advise. thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13838101#post13838101 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bonneville08
I would think the first question they would ask is the capacity of the pump you would use for the return from the sump. IMO, the most important factor when choosing an overflow is capacity. I've written to Scott at glass holes, and they are open to doing custom work as well.
The HOB siphons are prone to air voids and gradual loss of siphon IME, but this can be remedied by an aqualifter pump in most cases.
Given the choice, I would call glass holes, even if I had the tank drilled at a glass shop.
Good luck