PDA

View Full Version : Treating Eel Ich Outbreak

SkinnyPete
11/29/2008, 11:58 AM
I've read so many contradictory things about eels and ich from "they don't get it" to "they must be QT'd because they are ich carriers". So, I only have 3 fish - puffer, trigger, and a 2 foot Brazilian Dragon Moray. After being harassed by a new addition (wrasse, who was removed), both my porc puffer and bluejaw trigger had spots on their fins. So, they've both been moved to a QT tank where they'll be treated with hyposalinity. I don't really notice any spots on my eel but he didn't eat very enthusiastically today...a first in the 7-8 months that I've owned him so I'm a little nervous. NO3 is a little high 50. Just did a water change and it is now at 20.

Anyone have experience hypo'ing the main tank? I have no inverts. I have one rock with mushrooms that I could move...but, I do have tons of little featherdusters, a nice pod population, and lots of mini stars in my fuge. I'd rather not lose them. Looking for advice. Not sure how I'd QT a 2 foot eel. Do I QT the eel somehow, leave the eel in the main, or put the fish back and hypo the main tank? I don't know if this matters but if it is ich, it's not a BAD case. Only one spot on the trigger, only 4-5 on the puffer. I've avoided it all these years so I've never actually treated it, so I'm not sure if there is even such a thing as "mild" or "bad" case.