PDA

View Full Version : 1 or pair for the first?

customcolor
11/29/2008, 12:38 PM
i have had a tank that was set up befor summer that i wanted to do sea horse in and was wondering if i can do 1 in at a time or do i kneed to do a pair at first?

46 bow
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s193/customcolor/DSC03969.jpg

ann83
11/29/2008, 06:36 PM
As long as you are getting the seahorses from the same breeder, you can add them one at a time. But, they are social fish and you'll get more activity out of them in a pair. And save on shipping costs buying them both at once too ;)

customcolor
11/29/2008, 06:47 PM
they would be from a lfs and they are tank raised and i have seen them eat.

ann83
11/29/2008, 06:53 PM
In that case, I would definitely get them both at once. Your risk of disease is already high enough getting them tank raised, so you don't want the risk of mixing the sources to add to it (which might happen if you wait and add later). Plus, I personally would rather get the deworming treatment done all in one go instead of having to QT and deworm them both separately.

customcolor
11/29/2008, 07:33 PM
deworming? inlighten me on that please

ann83
11/29/2008, 07:40 PM
Treatment for parasites that WC and TR seahorses tend to come in with. A full deworming protocol is 9 weeks in QT, with deworming meds fed out in live brine shrimp once a week (two meals of it on that one day). Three weeks with praziquantel, three weeks with fenbendazole, and three weeks with metronidazole. Thats the advantage of buying CB from a reputable breeder; no deworming needed.

PAULNOTB
11/29/2008, 11:35 PM
I agree with ann833, buy them at the same time. Where are the horses from? If they are from a local breeder you may not have to deworm but if they are from one of the big wholesalers then you be prepared to medicate. Paul