11/29/2008, 01:47 PM
I'm setting a new seahorse tank in a 14g biocube. Its going to have just:

live rock
live sand
gorgonians
sponges
standard low biocube flow
a few marine plants

does anyone see any problems with this environment?? is there anything i should know about seahorses, what they like, and the secrets to keeping them healthy in this type of environment before i will do this??

and what would be a good species of seahorse to put in this environment

ann83
11/29/2008, 06:34 PM
Well, first, there aren't really any seahorses that will thrive in that environment. You could really push it with good water quality and, maybe, keep a pair of H. fuscus, but you really would be best off with a 29 gallon tank or larger for a pair of seahorses. If you're set on the 14 gallon, maybe a pipefish or two from one of the smaller species like bluestripes would be better...

Also, watch the water temperature in seahorse tanks. You want to keep seahorses at 70-74 degrees for the best chances of keeping them healthy.

If you haven't kept gorgs or sponges before, I would take it slow, trying one at a time, after the tank is mature. They are both kind of sensitive and you don't want a tank full of dying gorgs and sponges.

chibopelu13
11/30/2008, 12:16 PM
i've got plenty experience with grogonians and spounges so this won't be a problem. Do you think Dwarf seahorses would be better?