PDA

View Full Version : All 4 drilled bulkheads leaking...?!

SSpiro
11/29/2008, 06:21 PM
Setting up my new tank, and did all the plumbing today.

Decided to test the drilled spots first. All 4 holes leak.. each corner's return (3/4") and drain (1"). All 4 have the gasket and lock nut.

What else should I check for? What else can I do to remedy this problem?

AZDesertRat
11/29/2008, 06:46 PM
Did you install the gaskets on the flange side of the bulkhead, not the nut side? They should be installed clean and dry, no teflon, silicone or thread lubricants of any kind. The gasket always goes against the flange regardless if its inside or outside, never on the nut side. Always tighten hand tight plus maybe 1/4 to 1/2 turn, no more. Never support any pumps or piping with the bulkhead or you cause unequal stresses on the gasket, always support piping and pumps with something. Make sure the bulkhead fits snug in the hole and there is no side to side slop. If the hole is too big there is not sufficient space for the gasket to seal. This can be helped with an O-ring the correct size to fill the gap.

dunham16
11/29/2008, 06:50 PM
I had the same problem and made the mistake of tightened the bulkheads too much and broke my tank. Got a new tank and would not make that mistake again so i used silicone sealant on thread side of bulkhead and have not had a problem since. I would do that so you dont make the mistake i made not a cheap mistake.

iamwrasseman
11/29/2008, 07:21 PM
listen to desert rat hes got it right ,not to tight rubber on the flange side . sounds easy good luck

AZDesertRat
11/29/2008, 07:28 PM
You should never ever have to put anything on a bulkhead to seal it to the tank. Teflon on the internal threads for a threaded bulkhead are fine but not for the bulkhead to tank seal.

SSpiro
11/29/2008, 07:48 PM
I hope I didn't overtighten. I did it by hand so hopefully I didn't.

Will reevaluate when I get home. Keep the input coming. Thanks guys.

SSpiro
11/29/2008, 10:34 PM
Update..

I disassembled all the plumbing at the bulkheads on one side. I applied teflon to the threads for the nuts and reassembled. All the leaking is coming from above the nut.. it seeps, and drips.

I haven't gotten to the other side yet.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

thecoralreefer
11/29/2008, 10:49 PM
1 Does the flange cover the hole completely?
2 Is there anyhing under the gasket?
3 How well does the shaft fit the hole?
You may have to put 3 spacers in the area between the shaft and the glass to keep it squared up in the hole.
If you have to put some silicon and allow a day for dry time before youfill the tank again.

SSpiro
11/29/2008, 10:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13842551#post13842551 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thecoralreefer
1 Does the flange cover the hole completely?

Yes..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13842551#post13842551 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thecoralreefer
2 Is there anyhing under the gasket?

Just glass... ;)

3 How well does the shaft fit the hole?

There is some room for it to jiggle if the nut were loose..

You may have to put 3 spacers in the area between the shaft and the glass to keep it squared up in the hole.
If you have to put some silicon and allow a day for dry time before youfill the tank again.

Trying to avoid silicon.. What do you mean about 3 spacers? Like the gaskets?

billsreef
11/30/2008, 09:30 AM
Take the teflon off the threads for the nuts. Those threads should be absolutely clean. The teflon will cause the nut to feel tight before it is actually tight enough to seal the bulkhead. It's the gasket between the flange in the tank that makes the water proof seal, not the threads for the nut. The nut should only be hand tight. Too tight will distort the gasket.

SSpiro
11/30/2008, 10:41 AM
I'm going to go buy 4 new bulkheads today and a bunch of gaskets and we'll see.

I bought this tank second hand, so its possible these bulkheads are shot I suppose. Just hope one of the LFS's have them in stock, as I want to get this cycle going.

billsreef
11/30/2008, 11:40 AM
If they are used, the gaskets could be shot, especially if they seem stiff or brittle. Unless there are cracks or pits in the bulkheads themselves, you can just replace the gaskets.

AZDesertRat
11/30/2008, 12:24 PM
When installing a bulkhead take a jewelers file, nail file or pocket knife and clean the mating surface of the flange so it is free of any excess plastic flashing. Same with the threads of any PVC you will be using in the system. It makes a big difference when it comes to sealing. Excess plastic scrap causes gaskets to leak since it gives a pathway for water to travel through. It also causes leaks in threaded fittings due to the fact it tears teflon tape to shreds and squeezes pipe dope or sealants out of place when screwing the pieces together.

tony45power
11/30/2008, 12:25 PM
the bulkheads i cant seem going bad just replace the gaskets!......you can bu rubber from homedopt and cutout gaskets also

you can make bulkheads, you should be able to see anything as long as he rubber gasket is up tight on the glass on 1 side, oppsite of the nut! make sure you rubber gasket is covering the hole also!

thecoralreefer
11/30/2008, 12:31 PM
I have found that different manufactures make the shaft different sizes.I have had to cut plastic pieces to center the flange in an old hole to keep it from leaking. And 100% rubber silicone is what your manufacturers use for a seal so What's wrong with using it here. I custom build tanks and thats what I use to seal with. I have built reef and fish only tanks and the work out fine.

AZDesertRat
11/30/2008, 12:46 PM
Rather than silicone use an o-ring to fill the gap between a sloppybulkhead and the glass, it gives you a better sealing surface to squeeze against.

When building a new system ALWAYS buy the bulkheads first and mathc the hole to them. All manufacturers are different so there is no standard external dimension, only the internal diameter is standard PVC size. I always have the tank manufacturer drill the hles and supply the bulkheads so I know they fit. I did this on my current LeeMar system and its never even dripped in 5 years.

SSpiro
11/30/2008, 01:36 PM
Great info in this thread. Thank you!

On my way home with 4 new bulkheads and bunch of extra gaskets. I'm confident this will fix the issue; these gaskets feel a lot different then the ones I have at home presently.