PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected windfall...what to do?

gramma royale
11/30/2008, 03:06 AM
Hi all,

One of our kind aquarists here has given me a great deal on the LS and LR I will need for my new tank. Because of the distance and time, tomorrow is the only day I can pick up the LS and LR. The problem is that I still don't have a RO/DI device, saltwater, lights, or cleaned out my tank. So in other words I have a tank, stand, hood, and refugium...:rolleyes:

So my question is that during this transition period, what is the best way to keep 120 lbs of LR and 300 lbs of LS from going kaput? Keeping them in multiple 44 gallon Brute garbage cans w/ heaters and a powerhead running? If that's the case, how long will the LS and LR last w/o lights?

Please let me know if you guys have any suggestions on how to do this. Thanks!

Mike

Mikey Donuts
11/30/2008, 03:10 AM
Cans or a stock tank are the way to go IMO. The LR will last forever as long as the conditions in the cans aren't too brutal. Be sure to use a powerhead/heater like you mentioned. You'll lose your coralline eventually as well as all photosynthetic organisms, but that will take a while (on the order of months). The bacteria in the rock, sponges, tube worms, etc should all be fine.

gramma royale
11/30/2008, 03:14 AM
Thanks Mikey, good to know that I've got plenty of time to act. I guess my most pressing matter is finding a store that sells an RO/DI device for cheap :P. Anyone know of one in the Northern California East Bay Area?

Mikey Donuts
11/30/2008, 03:26 AM
No problem. Not sure about the sand though. I would be cautious here and I would just thoroughly rinse it with fresh water if I were you, let it dry, and then let the rock re-seed it when you start up your tank. I wouldn't risk moving a sandbed like that, too much can go wrong.

I'm sure the BAR guys could hook you up with enough RO/DI to at least mix up a little SW and keep the rock wet until you get everything settled.