PDA

View Full Version : What is in your Sump / Refug ?

Croman
11/30/2008, 08:31 AM
I have just setup my sump with a Refug. I have noticed that the refug is starting to get coated with which looks like red algae. I have sume aragonite on the bottom with some macro algae growing on the rocks. Should I add some snails - I am worried of them getting into my return pump.

ginger7286
11/30/2008, 08:55 AM
Is it red slime? If so it is probably Cyno-bacteria. You can get some powder to put in it to kill it. You'll have to do a water change sometime during the next 48 hours. It works pretty good but it does not cure what is causing it to grow. You probably have high phosphates (usually the red slime cause). get a good test kit and check. Clean your reg/sump with your vaccum hose and keep up on your water changes and keep your phosphates under control. Good luck

lamboraf
11/30/2008, 10:02 AM
Ginger is right.

FranktheTankTx
11/30/2008, 11:06 AM
I have yet to see many refugiums that do not have red slime algae growing in them. It's ok - most refugiums have low flow. Put 3 - 5x flow in your DT for a month and watch cyano grow everywhere. You can try to rid the refugium of cyano, but better it's in the refugium rather than the DT.

Phillybean
11/30/2008, 11:14 AM
I have red slime in my fuge. Never had any in the display so Im not worried. The different lighting spectrums combined with slow flow cause this IME.

FranktheTankTx
11/30/2008, 12:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13844723#post13844723 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Phillybean
I have red slime in my fuge. Never had any in the display so Im not worried. The different lighting spectrums combined with slow flow cause this IME.

Smart man! I wouldn't worry one bit with algae's growing in your refugium. That's where you want them to grow - as they consume all excess nutrients there - thus DO NOT grow in the DT.

Phillybean brings up one more good point - most of us burn 6700k bulbs over a refugium to grow macro algae. Red slime algae loves this K rating as well. Again - nothing to worry about.

Croman
11/30/2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. I thought so. But is it worth having any snails in the refugium?