PDA

View Full Version : Putty

Montezuma
11/30/2008, 09:34 AM
Is there any other kind of putty I can use to stick corals. I got a lot of free frags this weekend, and im not sure what I can use to stick them to rocks. (they arent on plugs)

lamboraf
11/30/2008, 09:52 AM
You can use AquaSape Aquarium epoxy.

Montezuma
11/30/2008, 10:12 AM
I do, but its so dang expensive. I wasnt sure if there is anythig else people use. I thought I read ther was some plumbers putty once.

noahm
11/30/2008, 10:40 AM
There is plumbers putty, a two part in a stick. It is NSF approved (i.e. drinking water safe) , but don't know if any reefers have used it. I'm sure someone has tried it .... reef safe? bump

noahm
11/30/2008, 10:47 AM
Here is a link to a comment by someone using loc-tite putty.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=170391

Look for the post by Psychadelic. been using it for 5 years.

shrug

jimboslice
11/30/2008, 11:41 AM
I used Home Depot's, AquaMend to cover some aptasia with no ill effects. There is three different kinds of two color stick putty at Home Depot. Only one is for water. Seems to be working well.

Bri Guy
11/30/2008, 12:03 PM
If you got the frags for free, whats wrong with spending $8 to attach them?

I use Aqua stick

stugray
11/30/2008, 12:47 PM
I use the Home Depot two part epoxy stick as well.

Looks, smells & feels the same as the expensive stuff.

Stu

therealfatman
12/01/2008, 07:49 AM
Doesn't anyone on this forum hang their frags instead of mounting them? The frags fractured areas grow over quicker, the frags grow faster and it is much easier to get the frags up into the light and into well circulated areas when they are simplied hung from an acrylic rod by fishing line.

Well this is not the SPS section so maybe that is why it is not mentioned.

schemo
12/01/2008, 09:18 AM
use some GEL type crazy glue. use a good amount on the base of the frag. remember not to touch the frag with your bare hands, no oils.

attach the frag quickly when you place the frag with glue into the tank hold for a few secs and let go. once the frag grow it will cover up the glue and attach to the rock.

Pitoon