PDA

View Full Version : Tea colored skimmate

Ultium
11/30/2008, 02:48 PM
I have an octopus bh300f skimmer on my 30 gallon tank. Tank occupants include a pair of clowns, and a blenny. I have a clean up crew consisting of 8 turbos and 4 hermits. There is also a sandsifting starfish which I supplament feed using a syringe at the same time I feed my frags and BTA.

Anyway, I have had the skimmer for a little less than a month and have never got skimmate other than the greenish tea colored stuff. The skimmate reeks worse than the bathroom right after my wife uses it, but it still looks nothing like some of the pics I have seen here. This is gunk and crap floating around in it, but it is still the murkey greenish color, never getting much darker than that.

The tank is about 8 months old. I feed the fish once a day and the frags/starfish/aneome once a week. I have been through much of the monster octopus thread, and am unsure what I should do about this if anything.

I have tried different cup heights. Is there any possibility that there just isn't enough of a load to produce the horrific outhouse looking skimate I see here?

Any suggestions would be great.

zmckenzie
11/30/2008, 02:58 PM
tea colored skimmate is perfect. I wouldn't worry about it.

phish guy
11/30/2008, 07:21 PM
yeah man, sounds good to me.

a320
11/30/2008, 07:30 PM
Same here!

ortiz76
11/30/2008, 07:39 PM
Tea color skimmate is good. I have a 34 gallon that that is all it pulls (tea colored) and a 120 that pulls much more gunky stuff (larger bioload).

Ultium
11/30/2008, 07:51 PM
Great! I just see so many fun ****ing contests with all these disgusting pics of skimmate that looks almost black, that I was beginning to feel a bit inadequate.

Thanks all.