PDA

View Full Version : Debris in tank

reefdat
11/30/2008, 05:34 PM
Debris in tank. I do not know what it is. Just white particles being pushed around by the power heads. This has been going for some time. Tried a Vortex EX, this unit is a joke, guest I am doing something wrong? The Vortex hoses collapse and the hose barbs are too small to put a thicker hose on. The debris just doesn't not seem to let up! Any clue as to what to do? Know of a better mechanical filter?

WaterKeeper
11/30/2008, 05:51 PM
Is it stirring up the sand bed? You may need to reposition the discharge to point away from the bed.

When selecting hoses one goes with the inside diameter, ID. That allows the hose to slide over the fittings.

reefdat
11/30/2008, 06:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13846958#post13846958 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
Is it stirring up the sand bed? You may need to reposition the discharge to point away from the bed.

When selecting hoses one goes with the inside diameter, ID. That allows the hose to slide over the fittings.

WaterKeeper, Thanks. It is, debris that is, not from the sand bed. It is not bubbles, just debris that seems to love to stay in the water column! It is taking too long to get rid of. Just doesn't seem to go to the overflow fast enough or into the Vortex fast enough for me.. You say, "When selecting hoses one goes with the inside diameter, ID. That allows the hose to slide over the fittings." That is not the problem. The hoses that came with the Vortex the right size but are too weak! There is not enough space between the fittings to put heavier hoses on. I worked out that problem, the hoses that is. Guess I need a filter that flows more GPH through the filter.

WaterKeeper
11/30/2008, 07:28 PM
That would help. WK is going out on a limb here but there is something you can try. If you can get some ferric sulfate solution you could add about two teaspoonsful to the tank. It acts as a coagulant and can help remove fines from the water column. The solution should be around 60- 68% as Fe<sub>2</sub>(SO<sub>4</sub>)<sub>3</sub>-9H<sub>2</sub>O.

Note of Caution Here-Do not dose ferric sulfate routinely. In small amounts iron is actually beneficial to the tank. Constant use of a ferric salt can raise it too high and will also lower your pH. Use it as an emergency procedure only.

I figured I'd better add that or my Newbies will be adding ferric sulfate at the drop of a hat. :D

reefdat
11/30/2008, 08:35 PM
WK is going out on a limb here but there is something you can try. If you can get some ferric sulfate solution you could add about two teaspoonsful to the tank. It acts as a coagulant and can help remove fines from the water column. The solution should be around 60- 68% as Fe<sub>2</sub>(SO<sub>4</sub>)<sub>3</sub>-9H<sub>2</sub>O.

I figured I'd better add that or my Newbies will be adding ferric sulfate at the drop of a hat. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

WaterKeeper Found this, 10lb Pail of Ferric Sulfate Price:$ 18.40 / 10lb Pail. Among its many varied applications, it can be used as a coagulant for color removal, organics removal, THM/DBP reduction, phosphorous removal, bacteria reduction, arsenic removal, sludge conditioning, turbidity reduction, COD/BOD reduction, enhanced coagulation, and heavy metals removal. This it??? I am still looking for a smaller amount.

WaterKeeper
11/30/2008, 09:24 PM
That's the stuff but I'd be looking for way less, unless you have your own wastewater treatment plant. :D