PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal - Who uses it and how often?

vamaro
12/01/2008, 10:54 AM
I have a newer 220 FOWLR tank. I was consider using some charcoal. How often and how much should I use?

GSMguy
12/01/2008, 12:10 PM
i use activated carbon all the time, it runs in a filter bag in my sump i change it every 2 weeks...

tewkes
12/01/2008, 12:36 PM
I'm running two decent size bags in my tank. I keep one in the end of the sump by the return, and the other I have strategically placed in the front part of the sump right where the water drains in. My thought was the water agitating the bag will do more.

vamaro
12/01/2008, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am such the newbe and I am just being so careful to research everything!

I also have a (two little fishes) PhosBan Reactor 150 that is not hooked up yet. Not sure what to do with it or if I can use it for charcoal too.

Vince

vamaro
12/01/2008, 02:42 PM
Any particular brand of charcoal that is better?

reiko1078
12/01/2008, 03:06 PM
i actually just started using chemipure elite. it has activated carbon along with some other resins that absorb bad stuff. it says it lasts for up to 6 months but i will prolly change it after 3 or 4. im no expert thats for sure but i must say my water is crystal clear and thats what i was going for. hey tewkes i think water running on your carbon might grind the bits together pulverizing them into a fine powder that runs into your system. like i said though i am NOT an expert though and am looking for a more effective way to run carbon myself. this is an interesting topic and i hope this thread gets good replies :)

zmckenzie
12/01/2008, 04:11 PM
The best way to run carbon is via a reactor. I use the "DUAL" GFO and Carbon Reactor from bulk reef supply. Using a reactor is considered active while placing a bag in the sump is passive. I also use buy my carbon from bulk reef supply as well. I always buy the activated lignite carbon. For your FOWLR you should look at a reactor and I would defiantly use carbon. It does wonders.

DarG
12/01/2008, 04:35 PM
Not everyone uses carbon 24/7. Some do but it is also common to run it for a couple/few days once a month or so. I usually run some for 2 days every 2 - 4 weeks in a DIY PVC "reactor" run with a small powerhead.

I also use the Lignite carbon from bulb reef supply. Good stuff, clears the water quick of any color. They also have the ROX carbon which costs more and is supposed to be the best from what I have heard. Never found a need for spending more money on the ROX as the Lignite works great for me.

45commando
12/01/2008, 05:18 PM
Like Darg,I just run carbon for a few days to "polish" the water before doing a water change.It's been my opinion that carbon will take up desirable elements,at the same time as removing the things you don't want.HTH

vamaro
12/01/2008, 07:55 PM
I just checked out bulk reef supply website. Should I use the larger size carbon for a PhosBan Reactor 150?

DarG
12/02/2008, 09:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13855191#post13855191 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vamaro
I just checked out bulk reef supply website. Should I use the larger size carbon for a PhosBan Reactor 150?

It probably wont matter either way. The regular bulk GFO granules are small. I dont think the regular lignite carbon granules are any smaller. I dont use the carbon in the phosban reactor, I use it sandwitched between a couple wads of filter floss in a DIY PVC reactor but I havent heard of any problems using it in the Phosban reactor.

Are you planning on using two reactors? You can use the carbon and GFO together in one but the carbon needs replacing more often than the GFO.

If you havent bought the TLF Phosban reactor yet, consider the reactors that Bulk reef supply sells. They are converted water filter canisters. Much better built than the Phosban reactors are and dont cost any more or not much more anyway. You can get a dual unit to run carbon on one and GFO in the other. The only down side is that you need a little bit larger powerhead than you would with the Phosban reactor but it is worth it in my opinion. I think they state that a maxijet 600 or 900 will run the single unit fine and a 1200 for the dual. Not sure though, but its listed on the website. If I did it all again, I would go with one of those reactors over the TLF. I'm going to pick one up next time I order from them to replace the TLF unit anyway.

vamaro
12/02/2008, 12:49 PM
I already have the TLF reactor, however I have not used it yet and may be able to return it. I will check out the other unit you suggested. Thank you for your help!

Vince

DarG
12/02/2008, 01:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13859469#post13859469 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vamaro
I already have the TLF reactor, however I have not used it yet and may be able to return it. I will check out the other unit you suggested. Thank you for your help!

Vince

I dont know if its worth the hassle returning it. I have the TLF and it has worked fine for the 2 years or so that I have had it.
Just thought I would mention the other unit since I wasnt sure if you had your reactor yet.

saltydog64
12/02/2008, 05:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13852872#post13852872 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vamaro
Thanks for the reply. I am such the newbe and I am just being so careful to research everything!

I also have a (two little fishes) PhosBan Reactor 150 that is not hooked up yet. Not sure what to do with it or if I can use it for charcoal too.

Vince

Vince,

By all means use the reactor for carbon, just remember to rinse it thoughly first. One way to do that is place your carbon in there between the sponges, ( a little trick to keep media from going down the center tube is to place a small piece of pvc or something similar to cover the tube and as u fill the reactor, slowing lift the pcv to remove it, leaving your center tube clean) and hookup your power-head and run the unit in a bucket until the water (use RODI water) runs clear then your set to go. I have been running this way for some time now with no problems....

Good luck with this.

Dick

vamaro
12/03/2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks for your help!

saltydog64
12/03/2008, 05:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13867970#post13867970 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vamaro
Thanks for your help!

vamaro,

You are very welcome.............