PDA

View Full Version : zoanthid fragging.......

USAquatics
12/01/2008, 08:01 PM
I have fragged a number of different corals but never zoas. I have two sm/md rocks covered with zoas that I'd like to frag. The polyps are attached very well, almost encrusting. SOOO my question is, how do I get frags of these without damaging the polyp 'foot'? The rocks are solid chunks and I fear that I'll do more damage trying to break it up.

I see zoa frags on disc so I know it is doable, i just don't want to kill anything in the learning process.

Please let me know.

furman589
12/02/2008, 11:16 AM
I always use a dremel with diamond blade to cut the rock and then stick a flat head screwdriver in and twist to get a little chunk full of zoos to fall off. Then just glue the rock to a plug and there is basically no recovery time.

Pescado Amigo
12/02/2008, 12:38 PM
thanks for the response. My biggest concern is crushing or tearing polyps while trying to frag. I have a dremmel, which bit did you use? Is it a disc

furman589
12/03/2008, 08:57 AM
It is like this http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=179419-353-545-03&lpage=none

Just be careful and make sure to only cut the rock, then once u break a little chunk of rock with the zoas on it cut the connecting tissue with a sharp razor blade.

emm0909
12/03/2008, 09:04 AM
My disclaimer: You should try to reduce the damage you do to the colony. Clean cuts allow them to heal up much faster. Ripped flesh will take slightly longer but zoas are pretty resilient.

That said, I have just taken a chisel to the rock time after time. I have just exploded a colony and ripped them apart where still attached. They always come right back and are fine. I lose precision with this method but I hadn't spent the $16 on a diamond blade at that point.

USAquatics
12/03/2008, 10:54 PM
thanks for the responses. i have been collecting some pretty cool stuff and wnat to start fragging it, but I don't want any casualties due to my ignorance. I feel better about it now.

gumbii
12/06/2008, 11:39 PM
i use an scalpel or an exacto blade...

just cut at the mat then get a butter knife... (i use my nails) to pry between the rock and the algae that they are growing on... sometimes it's just filth coraline that you peel off... then just glue them onto a plug or something...

i love fragging zoa's that are on a large smooth rock like that... i hate fragging them when they are on rubble rock, or branched material...

good luck and wear a face mask and gloves... palytoxins are deadly...

furman589
12/07/2008, 12:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13890968#post13890968 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gumbii

good luck and wear a face mask and gloves... palytoxins are deadly...

Yes very true