PDA

View Full Version : Green hair algea

incubusboy87
12/01/2008, 08:30 PM
My tanks been up for over 2 years now and just now am i getting some hair algea. The wierd part was it started when i put in a frag rack i made from egg crate. The other wierd part is the hair algea only grows on the plastic items in the tank. That being the return pvc elbow in the tank, overflows, 2 mj 1200 pumps, and the egg crate frag rack i stated earlier. Yes, your all going to ask parameteres, light age, all that but its all good as ive tested already and changed water regular. 4 years youve better of pretty much mastered the salt water trade to atleast the basic princibles. Im just having trouble figuring out how to deal with this plastic only hair algea! Is there some plastic only strain of hair algea????

Fin Mike
12/01/2008, 09:43 PM
Count yourself lucky that it is only growing there. I used to cultivate HA on the outflow of my cpr backpak. I encouraged its growth, so I could remove it, and use it as a "sink" for nutrient removal. Like you, it was the only place it grew.... on the plastic. Why, I don't know.