PDA

View Full Version : NEW TO THE HOBBY? LOOKY HERE!!!!!

FREEZY POP
12/02/2008, 12:39 AM
If your anything like I was the first time you saw a fully stocked and thriving reef tank, you probably had little room left in your head for anything else. And if you were like me, youve become obsessed with having a beautiful, mesmerising, and healthy tank of your own. If so, good for you!!!!!! A reef tank can be an immense source of pride and accomplishment for its caretaker. However, they can produce alot of headaches and heartbreak if you take the wrong approach. These words are not meant discourage, but to encourage you to approach this hobby in an intelligent manner. In my opinion the most valuable reefkeeping tool one can posess is patience! Patience will serve you far better in this hobby than anything else. Take it from me, Ive had to learn the hard way a few times. I have a box full of equipment that I didn't need or that doesn't work very well to prove it!!!! A reef tank is an investment. And like an investment should be approached with reasearch and caution!!! A good book on starting a reef aquarium should be the first purchase anyone who's serious should make. There is alot to think about when getting started and a good book will compile this information for you. Asking questions is good, but the mind alone cant think of everything! Also, be wary of the supplier who seems in a hurry to sell you something. A good retailer will grab the reins and pull you back before you get carried away and make a costly mistake. The sell! sell! sell! mentality of some stores has done harm to the hobby. People that invest their hard earned money in a tank only to have it fail because their supplier was more interested in the money than the customer, may quit the hobby completely And Icant think of anything more sad! And if your gonna ask questions be sure to include people that have successful tanks! Look at how the set them up, how they care for them. And when your ready to start buying equipment, be sure to look at ratings and reviews. Just remember that patience is a virtue!!! It will save you time and money that you can apply towards a beautiful and successful aquarium. Happy reefin!!!!

shadowbearwv
12/02/2008, 04:25 AM
Freezypop I will have to say you are right on the money.

I have been doing freshwater fish for well over 10 years now and wanted to venture into saltwater. I took my 4 Ciclids to a LFS and traded them in and talked to one of the employees about setting up a saltwater tank. Living in a very small house I don't have room for a 55 gallon tank so I ended up getting an Aquapod 12g, some LR and LS and setting it up with just some basic research and what the employee had told me. I'm still kicking myself for that purchase since that day. I left there store paying double the going rate for the tank.

After doing more reading and asking question here and other sites I'm in the process of setting up a 20 gallon standard fish tank. And doing it the right way.

Sorry for the rank but needed to get it off my chest as well as thank everyone here for all the great input and information.

SB

bandh0526
12/02/2008, 10:07 AM
Great advice, Freezy Pop! I've seen so many people get frustrated with this hobby because I lack of knowledge and research and they waste lots of time, money and kill a lot of beautiful living creatures before they get discouraged and give up. It's really sad. This is definately an investment (and an addiction!!! I have 3 running tanks and a 240 in the works!). It's not just a passing hobby "mix water+fish=fish tank" - it's a whole ecosystem dependent on you to help it thrive. A little research goes a long way!

Anyway, I guess I'm saying - I totally understand. Props for you!