PDA

View Full Version : Time for a Lawnmower?

texhorns98
12/02/2008, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure what this stuff is on my substrate, but it's ticking me off! It looks like diatoms, but it's green and not brown. I did my weekly WC on Sunday and it kinda went away. Then it came right back by Monday morning. Everything is at zero except nitrates are at 10. I have a couple of emeralds, hermits, turbos, and nassarius in there as a CUC. Do I need something more? Would a lawnmower blennie be good for this? I'll see if I can post a pic, but it looks just like what happened in the beginning, only it's focused up front with nothing at the rear of the tank.

Boostin S14
12/02/2008, 12:52 PM
Are you using tab water or RO water? Tap water and good lighting is a recipe for all kinds of algea

texhorns98
12/02/2008, 12:54 PM
Boostin,

You beat me to it! I was coming back to edit that, YES I'm using RO/DI. I started the tank with half RO/DI and half conditioned tap water, but that was months ago. Since then, ONLY RO/DI. And I'm buying my own unit soon (wife thinks it's for drinking water!).

wshfulthkn
12/02/2008, 12:57 PM
How old is the tank? It is better to find a cure to the issue. If you use a biological means of control you may get into 'the lady who swallowed a fly' trap.

Playa-1
12/02/2008, 12:59 PM
Everything is at zero except nitrates are at 10.
What is your definition of everything?

How long has this tank been setup and running? I doubt a lawnmower blenny is the answer to your problem. I would suspect a phosphate problem. What are you using to export Phosphates?

Sugar Magnolia
12/02/2008, 01:05 PM
Could be cyano aka blue green algae. It typically will seem to diminish after lights out only to reappear the next day. Best way to handle it is manual removal via syphoning on a daily basis and directing more flow to the area where it is growing.

Toddrtrex
12/02/2008, 01:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13859501#post13859501 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by texhorns98
Boostin,

You beat me to it! I was coming back to edit that, YES I'm using RO/DI. I started the tank with half RO/DI and half conditioned tap water, but that was months ago. Since then, ONLY RO/DI. And I'm buying my own unit soon (wife thinks it's for drinking water!).

You say that you are going to be buying your own unit soon, where are you getting it now? If you are getting it from an LFS or Grocery store, I would check the TDS of that water, odds are that they don't change the filters often enough and the water isn't as pure as you hope.

texhorns98
12/02/2008, 01:17 PM
Good call Todd, I am getting it from my LFS, but I'm not sure how to check the TDS.

To everyone else, the tank has been up and running about 3.5 months now. And when I said everything was at 0, I meant the usual (ammonia, nitrites). I don't have anything for phosphate extraction right now, but a 20G sump/fuge is in the works. I pulled the carbon from my canister 2 weeks ago if that makes any difference. I can certainly point a PH in that direction if needed.

Toddrtrex
12/02/2008, 01:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13859672#post13859672 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by texhorns98
Good call Todd, I am getting it from my LFS, but I'm not sure how to check the TDS.

Can get a hand held TDS meter.

I know that when I switched over to my own RO/DI water, compared to my LFS's most of my algae issues went away with in a couple of weeks, with no other changes.

Playa-1
12/02/2008, 02:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13859672#post13859672 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by texhorns98

To everyone else, the tank has been up and running about 3.5 months now. And when I said everything was at 0, I meant the usual (ammonia, nitrites). I don't have anything for phosphate extraction right now, but a 20G sump/fuge is in the works. I pulled the carbon from my canister 2 weeks ago if that makes any difference. I can certainly point a PH in that direction if needed.

Well algae is normal in a new tank so I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point. I think your on the right path. Your own RO/DI, adjusting the powerheads to make sure you don't have dead spots, removing spent carbon, getting a TDS meter and You working on a sump/fuge for Nitrate and Phosphate export. That sounds like a plan to me :)

greggnyce
12/02/2008, 02:33 PM
Also run some GFO(phos remover) in your cannister filter.

FREEZY POP
12/02/2008, 11:40 PM
I agree with all of the above. However, I would like to speak on behalf of the Blenny. Mine is a voracious little eater, and works my tank over like a prize fighter! He may not represent a total solution, but he definitely contributes to the condition of my tank!!!!!!!

Alexander180
12/02/2008, 11:50 PM
The blenny is going to eat most film algae but i wouldnt count on him eating what is really bothering you. They are great fish to have and have a wonderful personality to add to the tank. If you get one make sure you have glass tops or a canopy. They like to jump at times. Mine jumped into my overflow and took the 2 inch waterslide to the sump once.

inovrmyhd
12/03/2008, 10:18 AM
My Blenny started eating the food I feed the other fish. He never was very good at removing algae. I've had him for about 2 months and about 2 weeks ago he started eating the regular food. I see it as more of a good thing because I have heard that some people have problems with them running out of food and starving (I do put some garlic dosed algae on a rock with a rubber band for him) so I at least know he is getting some nutrients.

Konadog
12/03/2008, 10:56 AM
You haven't mentioned a clean up crew yet, do you have any snails working for you? They are much better at cleaning up algae than most fish are IMO.