PDA

View Full Version : New sediment filter available

Indermark
12/02/2008, 12:59 PM
I see you have a new sediment filter available on your website but is much more expensive than the other sediment filters you sell. Besides it being .2 microns can you tell me a little more about it. Is a picture on your site coming any time soon?:) .

Ryan

Buckeye Hydro
12/02/2008, 06:32 PM
We should have lots of new photography coming soon.

They have a hard translucent poly shell which is perforated. Within you can see a pleated filter. They have "rubber" gaskets at both ends.

They are really nothing remarkable to look at, although they obviously look different than a typical polypro sediment filter.

Russ

Indermark
12/02/2008, 09:33 PM
how much longer can the filter last. The filters I have now I think can last longer than six months but I usually replace them anyway. I have another question. I am running two sediment filters then it goes into the unit I bought from BFS. Then the water goes into two Carbon blocks, then RO membrane, then into the DI. Are the two carbon blocks necessary if I don't have high amounts of chlorine present in my tap water??? If I do not need the two Carbon blocks what suggestions do you have, on what else I could do.

Ryan

Buckeye Hydro
12/03/2008, 02:55 AM
Ryan - unless you have unusual feedwater, no more than one sediment filter and one carbon block is needed.

Changing prefilters @ 6 months is a good practice. Sanitize the system at every filter change or every other filter change (at least once per year).

Russ

jonboy
12/04/2008, 06:02 PM
sanitize the system
does that mean rinse before reinstalling or is there something else?
jon

Unresistible Blue
12/04/2008, 06:03 PM
We recommend sanitizing your RO/DI system at least once per year. Schedule this process at a time when you are planning to replace your cartridges. These instructions apply to water purification systems without a pressure tank. Before you begin assure that you have about an hour available, and that your work area and hands are clean. You’ll be working with household bleach - prepare the work area accordingly.

Turn off the water supply to the system.

Remove all housings and remove all pre-filters and post-filters from the system including sediment filters, carbon filters, in-line filters, and deionization cartridges. Remove the reverse osmosis membrane(s).

Wash housings with a soft brush or cloth in warm soapy water. Rinse thoroughly to remove all soap. Don’t forget to carefully remove and wash all o-rings. Lubricate the o-rings with a small amount of silicone grease and reinstall them.

Fill the first prefilter housings 3/4 full with potable water and one tablespoon of plain, unscented household bleach. With this sanitizing liquid in the housing, screw the housing back on to the system.

Turn on the water supply a bit, allow water to fill the entire system, and assure water is flowing out of the waste line and the purified water line. Place the outlet of the drain tube and purified water tube slightly higher than the system to assure these tubes are full of the sanitizing solution. When the sanitizing solution has reached the outlet of each tube, and with the outlet of each tube placed above the rest of the system, shut off the water supply for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, turn the water supply on and assure that water exits the system from both the drain tube and the purified water port. Flush the sanitizing solution from the system for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the strong odor of chlorine can no longer be detected.

Turn off the water supply and install new filters, taking care to flush the filters as appropriate.

We recommend keeping a maintenance record for your system. Record the date of the sanitizing and filter replacement.

jonboy
12/04/2008, 06:10 PM
what do i need to do differently with a pressure tank?
The output of my ro system goes to a 50 gal tank.
Should it be sterilized also?Any ideas how?
thanks,
jonboy

Buckeye Hydro
12/06/2008, 08:31 AM
Sure. These directions are for a 3 gallon tank. You'll want to add more chlorine.

Why do you have such a large pressure tank? Is it a whole-house system?

Fill a clean container large enough to hold an RO membrane with RO or DI water. Turn off the water supply to the system. Open your faucet and allow the pressure tank to drain completely.

Remove all housings, and remove pre-filters and post-filters from the system including sediment filters, carbon filters, in-line filters, and deionization cartridges. Remove the reverse osmosis membrane(s) and place it in RO or DI water.

Wash housings with a soft brush or cloth in warm soapy water. Rinse thoroughly to remove all soap. Don’t forget to carefully remove and wash all o-rings. Lubricate the o-rings with a small amount of silicone grease and reinstall them.

Fill the first prefilter housing ¾ full with potable (tap) water and two tablespoons of household bleach. With this sanitizing liquid still in the housing, screw the housing back on to the system. Replace the cap to the RO membrane housing.

Turn on the water supply a bit – less than ½ normal operating pressure/flow, allow water to fill the entire system, and assure water is flowing out of the waste line and the purified water line. Close the valve at the DI water output. Place a valve at the end of the waste tube and close the valve. Place the outlet of the drain tube and DI water purified water tube slightly higher than the system to assure these tubes are full of the sanitizing solution. Allow the sanitizing solution to fill the pressure tank with the faucet closed. When the tank is full, open the faucet and allow air and less than ½ cup of sanitizing solution to flow from the faucet. Close the faucet. Shut off the water supply for 30 minutes.

Turn the water supply off, remove each vertical housing and discard the sanitizing solution. Reinstall the empty vertical housings. Open the faucet and allow the tank to drain completely. Close the faucet. Turn on the water supply and allow the tank to fill. Turn off the water supply, open the faucet, and drain the tank. Repeat the tank filling and draining 3 or 4 times to completely flush the sanitizing solution from the tank.

Next, close the tank valve, and turn the water on and allow water to drain from the waste tube and the DI water tube for 5 to 10 minutes. After all sanitizing solution has been flushed from the system, remove the vertical housings, install new filters, and reinstall your RO membrane.

We recommend keeping a maintenance record for your system. Record the date of the sanitizing and filter replacement.