PDA

View Full Version : RIP Punkster (FW puffer)

Pufferpunk
12/02/2008, 01:53 PM
Today is WC day & when I went to Punkster's tank (the fish in my avatar), there was a giant red ball of fungus in there. I didn't think I fed her a piece of shrimp that big. When I went to get it out, it was her! Man, did she smell bad. She was swollen too. I just fed her the other day & she was fine. I tried an autopsy but her organs were kind of mushy. Nothing looked awry though. I'm so devistated... :(

She was a really cool fish who would bite anyone that stuck their hand in her tank.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/Pufferpunk/Pufferpics/Jeni-Tmiurus8.jpg
RIP Punky.

predator 1
12/02/2008, 02:12 PM
That is bad news Mrs PP, you have my sympathies As you know, we have spoken many times to each other on the worlds forums, and I have always admired that red Puffer of yours. I have even spoken to Manuitis about it. I can imagine how you feel. When my Golden Arothron departs this world I will be heartbroken. And more importantly, my children will be also.

Pufferpunk
12/02/2008, 02:17 PM
The only think I can think of I did different was put a sponge over the filter intake to keep the sand out. I was tired of cleaning out the impeller all the time. Maybe it slowed down the flow too much, depleting the O2 in the tank. I wish I had checked on her sooner.

Freed
12/02/2008, 02:49 PM
Is that a fresh water puffer?

Recty
12/02/2008, 03:01 PM
Sorry to hear that, it always sucks losing a fish :(

How long was she yours?

elecbzerk
12/02/2008, 08:52 PM
so sorry to hear that!!!

fender4string
12/02/2008, 09:16 PM
Sorry to hear about that pufferpunk. I just got my first fish and am already pretty attached to her so I can imagine how I'd feel in your situation. At least yours had a scrappy personality while she was still around-kept things interesting I'll bet :)

Pufferpunk
12/02/2008, 10:59 PM
I had Punkster for about 5 years. She was a tiny 1" baby when I got her.

Here she is when I 1st got her, next to a UGF down tube cover:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/Pufferpunk/Pufferpics/Punkster.jpg

OceanLover2
12/03/2008, 09:36 AM
First, my condolences for losing Punkster. She was a gorgeous fish.

Second, its good you are thinking about why she might have died so that you can learn. IF you made a mistake, it would be good not to repeat it with other fish.

But last, everything living dies. It's sad but true. You might not have done anything to speed Punkster along to her final ocean. It may have just been her time to go.

Pufferpunk
12/03/2008, 11:03 AM
I have 9 tanks right now. 3 of them are in the living room where my husband hangs out & the rest are in my office/fishroom. Punkster's tank was situated in a corner under a 29g tank. I have to bend way over to look into it. I've been doing some soul-searching (& discussing w/Hubby), about how I could have missed her suffering/death. Maybe I'm in over my head? He suggests taking down that tank & using that space for some storage or something (it's under my 29 F8 tank, so there may be some salt spray).