PDA

View Full Version : Must have or Must not have inhabitants in a Zoa tank

Jeremy Blaze
12/03/2008, 11:36 AM
I thought it would be a good idea to list animals, that are 'must haves' in a zoa tank, or must not haves...

Such as,

Wrasse. I see a lot of people recomend YEllow Coris wrasse or 6line wrasses as great to have to help control pests.

What about inverts? Any good or bad?

Must not have, I would list Angels. I have seen many many angels both dwarfs and full size destroy zoas.

jprince58
12/03/2008, 12:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13866319#post13866319 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jeremy Blaze
I thought it would be a good idea to list animals, that are 'must haves' in a zoa tank, or must not haves...
Well, I think the zoanthids definitely fall into the "must have" category. Ok, so maybe that's not a helpful answer...sorry. :)
Wrasse. I see a lot of people recomend YEllow Coris wrasse or 6line wrasses as great to have to help control pests.
I don't think they're necessary, but they are a great help in controlling pests. Properly QTd and "deloused" frags/colonies shouldn't have a problem with that anyway, but they are a great insurance policy just in case.
What about inverts? Any good or bad?
Definitely stay away from certain crabs, such as Sally Light Foot. Even if they don't eat your polyps, they're constant picking around between them keeps them irritated and closed.
Must not have, I would list Angels. I have seen many many angels both dwarfs and full size destroy zoas.
I think the bigger angels would be iffy, but most of the dwarf varieties should be mostly zoa-safe. Of course, individual personalities should be figured into that. My personal experience, though, is that they've never caused a problem.