PDA

View Full Version : still issues w/solaris?

sprite
12/03/2008, 02:39 PM
have the issues been addressed with the new series os solaris fixtures? im thinking about getting the 14 inch for my sps nano but im still kinda gunshy of them with the price and all.....thanks

tufacody
12/03/2008, 04:01 PM
My China assembled Solaris sucked hard with failure issues. They have since replaced it with a new American assembled unit, and it has been 2 months now w/o a problem.

ckyneeedsyou
12/03/2008, 05:32 PM
how do you like the American made one?

sprite
12/03/2008, 07:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13868312#post13868312 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tufacody
My China assembled Solaris sucked hard with failure issues. They have since replaced it with a new American assembled unit, and it has been 2 months now w/o a problem.

is that that new i5 series ?

tufacody
12/03/2008, 08:29 PM
I love the Solaris now that it appears fixed. Tank has been up about 8 months and everything is doing great and growing. Tank is primarily LPS but SPS frags are doing well too. Love the built in features and absolutely no heat transfer to my tank.

With that said, I've actually got some VHO bulbs on order to supplement the Solaris. Not that I think I need it, mind you, but I love the look this guy is getting:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1513222

A Solaris-lit tank is going to have its hot spots and its shaded areas. I find it to be more natural to a real reef but not what the eye has become accustumed to in the hobby. I figure with the VFO option I can light the whole thing up like a T5 style tank or keep it the way it is now. If I don't like the look of the added VHO's I'll take them down. My corals certainly don't need the extra PAR, but I'm curious to see what a little extra red from the bulbs will produce in the tank.

snorvich
12/03/2008, 08:48 PM
Have you done par measurements?

SWSaltwater
12/03/2008, 10:19 PM
The extra red helps a good deal, Coloration from VHO's is still the best I have seen. I loved my VHO lit 80 gallon and wish i kept it. Been using 2 solaris on my show tank for a year, and one for about another year prior to getting the second. First was a G, second added when H came out. Now I want to sell both and move to a I5 as they are slick.

jtma508
12/04/2008, 07:18 AM
After assessing all my options for a lighting upgrade (I'm limping along with PC right now) I've come back to LED. I'd written-off Solaris after all their manufacturing nightmares but the new I-5 (from what little I've been able to find on the web from users) looks really promising. I wish I could find a head-to-head comaprison between the I-5 and the AquaIllumination fixture.

tufacody
12/04/2008, 09:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13870620#post13870620 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
Have you done par measurements?

I don't have a par meter, and have no reason to get one. All my corals have done exceedingly well. That's enough for me.