PDA

View Full Version : good heater for 150g?

BigJim
12/03/2008, 07:19 PM
I have filled my new 150 gallon reef tank with water and need suggestions on which heaters to buy. With an old small heater the temp is just below 70. The tank is in the basement of a townhouse so it's usually cool. Which brand and size should I get for this big of a tank? Where would the best place to buy it be? Do I need more than one? :bum:

NanoReefWanabe
12/03/2008, 08:21 PM
it is always better to have several undersized heaters as opposed to one large one...reason being if one fails (hot) then it wont toast your tank if it fails (off) it wont make a huge difference....

i am not sure what size you need for 150 gallons but what ever it is it take that number and divide by at least two, and buy three heater slightly smaller then that...ie if you need 500watts to heat your tank then get three 200watters...one failing isnt a big deal and two failing wont be as bad a one big one failing...

snorvich
12/03/2008, 08:50 PM
And it is better still to have an independent Ranco controller. Most heaters fail in the control mechanism. Expensive livestock don't like being boiled.

Kenzy
12/03/2008, 08:56 PM
On my 170g I have a pair of 250w heaters.

You lighting and other equipment choices will determine what your tank needs. I would start with a pair of either 200 or 250watt heaters and go from there. No 2 tanks are really the same so no one will be able to tell exactly what you need, but this should be a good starting point.

pjf
12/03/2008, 10:34 PM
I prefer the Eheim Jager heater because:

1. It has an LED indicator.
2. It can be calibrated (http://www.boroniaaquarium.com.au/newsletter/cms_files/Jager%20heater.pdf?NewsletterSession=7c5a8ab1545a1745e6514e6d836edb6f).
3. It can be set a couple of degrees higher than the controller’s set point for safety.

If you don't have a controller, then two 150-watt heaters would work. You can calibrate them and periodically check their LED indicators to see if they agree most of the time.