PDA

View Full Version : Kole Tang & Starrry Blenny Aggression

VultureCP
12/04/2008, 01:05 PM
I recently added a starry blenny to my 70g where I also have a small kole tang. It appears the tang is bullying the blenny whenever he notices him grazing ( I assume this is due to the fact they are both grazers). Any suggestions on how to minimize this, or if this will usually go away?

I have been over feeding to try and minimize the aggression, it doesn't seem to be a hunger issue, just a "Hey I own this".

ricde
12/04/2008, 07:58 PM
I thought I was the only one with this problem. My kole gives chase to my black-combtooth and my tail-spot. The blennies just shoot behind a rock and out the other side, without any harm.

Dakota Reef
12/05/2008, 12:26 AM
Chuck,

I've got the same combination a small Kole Tang that had never bothered anything in the tank for the last two years til I added a Starry Blenny early this year.

The Kole's aggression has diminished considerably since then.....maybe a couple of times a week I'll notice him giving chase. Fortunately the Starry Blenny has managed to thrive in spite of the Kole's bullying.

If your Blenny eats Nori try and station a clip near a spot in the tank where he can dart for safety quickly. I've got large rock covered in Green Star Polyps that mine used to duck into when attacked. Now he pretty much ignores the aggression and the Kole gives up.

Hope it works out for you, Starry Blennies are such wonderful characters.

will16
12/05/2008, 12:39 PM
My kole does the same thing to my goby. He will charge at it full spead on sight. First few months, wouldn't let it out of his hole. Diminishing a little, the goby gets to come out and sift in front of his hole but thats about it. The Kole will still chase him back in. My solution is to get the Kole out... now I just have to catch him...

VultureCP
12/05/2008, 09:29 PM
Well I am glad I am not the only person having this problem. On the bright side the starry blenny is larger than the Kole which I hope will let him fend off the Kole better. At first I thought it was playful but I quickly learned he wasn't messing around. However I don't see any bruising on the blenny so it looks like the Kole is just trying to assert territory.

I fed nori today and the kole seemed to leave the blenny alone, so I am hoping this method will work out. If I can get this agression in check I will finally have all the fish living in harmony that I had planned for

3 Bartlett Anthias
1 Kole Tang
2 True Percula Clowns
1 Solar Wrasse
1 Starry Blenny

I know it is a lot but I have a Octopus Extreme 160 to pull out all the mess and it seems to be working.