PDA

View Full Version : how long to notice results from copper treatment?

marc nichols
12/04/2008, 10:15 PM
I finally captured our Powder Brown Tang and placed him in the hospital tank along with our ORA nude clown. The clown has been in for about 48 hours and I can't say for sure that I'm seeing results. Our API copper test kit doesn't give very precise readings, and I've tried to be on the weak side of the recommended dosage as I hear that Tangs don't hold up to copper well.

So, how long in general before the Ick drops off the fish? Trying to understand if I will have to increase the dose? BTW, also treated with tetracycline as recommended by Mardel to mitigate infection .

I'm convinced, quarantine everything!

Kieth71
12/04/2008, 11:34 PM
If you are useing cupramine the api copper test will not work..need to get either seachem or salifert.

flameangel88
12/05/2008, 10:58 AM
With Cupramine I see very few ich left on the fish body by the 3rd or 4th days of dosing. Since you're administering in QT it's much easier to maintain the copper level.

I've only used copper (Cupramine) once to treat for ich and here's my result--cut & paste from a reply I posted on another thrd:

I'd ich outbreak over the summer and trying to cheat and treated with Cupramine for 13 days ich came back then went on to treat for 25 days. After a few days ich came and and finally I went on to treat for 30 days and toward the last week of treatment I raised the level to 0.6 from 0.5 and it's been clear (knock on wood) since 11/3.

Both times ich looked to be gone from the fish but in reality it was still in the water system even 25 days.

marc nichols
12/05/2008, 12:27 PM
I'm using Mardel "coppersafe". If I understand the directions, the API copper test kit works with that. Am I incorrect?

Unfortunately, my powder blue isn't feeding. I'm boosting garlic and trying a variety of foods. Other than the ick, she looks good remains fat and healthy looking though lethargic in the hospital tank.

limitdown
12/07/2008, 12:05 AM
I had major problems with API's copper test kit with Cupramine. I ended up just going with Seachem's copper test kit.

One problem I see with your treatment regime is that there are still parasites in your displaly tank and they might infect your other fish.

Also, raise the temperature during treatment, as that'll speed up the life cycle of ich. It'll get them into the free swimming stage faster, which will make them vulnerable to copper.

CeeGee
04/19/2009, 09:55 PM
How long do people usually run a copper treatment? It has been a while since I have had to do it (although I am in the middle of one now on a couple of fairy wrasses I bought locally).

I can't remember if it is 4 or 6 weeks.

My fish nearly died and the are doing great now. I am using copper power as I have always had great results with it.

flameangel88
04/19/2009, 10:04 PM
I've tried 13, 25 and both times ich came back within couple of days. I'd to cut it short due to some of the fish was showing stress. Now I run it 30 days.

CeeGee
04/20/2009, 11:46 AM
Cool. That will put me at the end of the month and then on to prazi-pro treatment! I may get these fish into the tank before the middle of next month!