PDA

View Full Version : Carbon question

Nanook
12/05/2008, 01:02 AM
I have a 6"x24" media reactor that feeds through the bottom and exits at the top. My system volume is 1000 gallons. I have been using BRS regular carbon and filling this container about 1/2 full. The pump running on this reactor is an Oceanrunner 3500 which is about 900gph at 0 feet of head. I usually run the pump wide open and the carbon just tumbles a bit at the top and looks about right.

When I add more than half a container of carbon the media does not tumble like it should and the flow channels. I guess I am looking for advice on whether I need to be using more carbon and a beefier pump, or if I should be using a higher grade carbon?

I change carbon about every 3-4 weeks at present and if I used a higher grade carbon, would I be able to go longer in between changes?

It just seems like half a container of carbon is not enough for the 1000g of saltwater?

Thanks!

Nanook
12/05/2008, 01:04 AM
I guess this same question could be asked about my GFO reactor which is the exact same size but I use an Oceanrunner 2500 wide open on it. I have been using BRS GFO pellets, just the plain ones.....

With the reactor about 1/2 full I am having to change my media about every 5-6 weeks before I start noticing cyano on the rocks and sand.

Boomer
12/05/2008, 03:16 AM
A general rule is 1 cup / 50 gal for something like Black Diamond. Half of that reactor is 340 ^3 = 23 cups. For a 1,000 net it is 20 cups. But our say BRS pellets. So, you must mean ROX, as they only sell two kinds of GAC. It looks like broken mechanical pencil lead 0.8 mm in diameter. Thus, you are more than good enough with the 1/2 full with that stuff. That GAC is NOT plain stuff :lol:

AGGJSW
12/05/2008, 10:11 AM
How often should one replace their carbon?

Nanook
12/05/2008, 10:34 AM
I have been using the 15lb buckets from Bulk Reef Supply of their lignite carbon...not the ROX 0.8. Perhaps I should switch though if it will last longer?

jenglish
12/05/2008, 10:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13880053#post13880053 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AGGJSW
How often should one replace their carbon?

it all depends, the better the carbon the fster it fills up. As far as just a rough rule of thumb 2-3 weeks is what I always heard.

Boomer
12/05/2008, 03:16 PM
Yes it wil last longer. From one of my recent post on those two carbons

Darco vs ROX.

Darco has a Iodine #625 and that nubmer is often close or almost the same as the TSA/BET at times, meaning total surface area. ROX has a Iodine # of 1,000 and a TSA of 1225. Your Darco is only TSA 650. That means the ROX has 1. 88 times more surface area and adsorbs 1.6 times more Iodine. And both have about the same Molasses # 425 - 450. The pore Vol of ROX is +1.00 and your Darco is 0.95. The MB# is also much higher for ROX than Darco but Norit has dropped it from new data sheets. All of this shows a leaps and bounds difference. But this will cost you $10 more / 5 gal pail.

Nanook
12/05/2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks! The Rox .8 is almost twice as much as what I got in the 15lb bucket from BRS....might try it though and see how it does.

Boomer
12/05/2008, 04:34 PM
Oop's I mixed up the 2 gal with the 1 gal :lol:

Nanook
12/05/2008, 05:50 PM
Any idea how long I could run the Rox in this media reactor effectively?

As it is now, I run it for two weeks, then rinse it with RODI water and clean the sponges, then put it back in for another two weeks.

Nanook
12/05/2008, 05:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13882682#post13882682 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomer
Oop's I mixed up the 2 gal with the 1 gal :lol:

I thought you paid for the difference:D

ezcompany
12/05/2008, 06:38 PM
Dave, I myself am not a firm believer of carbon.
I believe that carbon's main purpose is to remove organics, so if you run a skimmer, which more than likely does its job, then why bother :D
For the record I've been running carbonless for more than a year now :)

therealfatman
12/05/2008, 08:28 PM
The ROX price is more than double regardless of the container size. All specifications for ROX are less than double the specifications for the Darco.

Interesting reply ezcompany. And I see you also even maintain reef tanks. I also depend more on other processes rather than carbon. I use carbon more as a preventative measure for water clarity. I use minimal amounts and have yet to find any appreciable difference when I do not use it. However my systems are more akin to frag tanks without fish, than the typical mixed reef tanks seemingly kept by most reefers. I have few DOC problems for the carbon to deal with.

Nanook
12/05/2008, 08:37 PM
I rely on it as the 375 gallon tank is dominated by soft coral and the 475 gallon tank is dominated by stony corals. I also like the keep the water as clear as possible for maximal light penetration on 30" deep tanks.

vivek
12/05/2008, 09:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13883381#post13883381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ezcompany
Dave, I myself am not a firm believer of carbon.
I believe that carbon's main purpose is to remove organics, so if you run a skimmer, which more than likely does its job, then why bother :D
For the record I've been running carbonless for more than a year now :)

I clearly notice a big difference in my tank with the carbon. The water is crystal clear and does not smell, something i notice when it is time to change the carbon. whether there is any other benefit i am not sure.

Boomer
12/06/2008, 02:52 AM
The ROX price is more than double regardless of the container size. All specifications for ROX are less than double the specifications for the Darco.

Why are you telling Dave something he already knows ?

Hey, lets see some pics of those systems you claim to have.

I heard you will not post any as your attorney has advised you not to :lol:

I also heard you are the guy who claims his 120g reef tank dissolves 30 lbs of sand per month ........which is shear nonsense.

therealfatman
12/06/2008, 04:38 AM
Self editted.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/06/2008, 08:45 AM
I believe that carbon's main purpose is to remove organics, so if you run a skimmer, which more than likely does its job, then why bother

Not all organics have structures amenable to removal by skimming, or GAC, or Purigen, or ozone, etc. To some extent they may all be complimentary, and so remove a wider assortment of organics when used together. They will also be additive in their effects, keeping organics even of the same types lower than any single method alone.

FWIW, I discuss organics and removal processes here:

Organic Compounds in the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/rhf/index.htm

bertoni
12/06/2008, 03:44 PM
[flamealert]