PDA

View Full Version : Startup Help

fishguy27
12/05/2008, 07:16 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a 55 gal that i am starting. It was a fresh water tank but now am going salt. do i need to have a hob skimmer right away, if not how long should i wait. Is the correct time for the skimmer set by the water condition? FYI The tank has nothing in it i am planning to start with my sub and then my rock. Thank You for all your help and/or advice!

justin

ej797
12/05/2008, 07:45 PM
I would look into a reefready tank if it is possible for you. I feel a sump is indispensible for a reef tank.

Also, be sure that the tank you are using has never been treated with copper. Copper is lethal to coral in very small quantities.

12/05/2008, 08:43 PM
Agree with ej797. But you can use that 55gal as your first salt tank to lean on.

I would consider a sump for the skimmer and the rest of the equipment, to "hide' it all. Usually the rear glass has not been tempered and is "soft" enough to drill thru. But make sure before you do drill, if it's tempered it'll shatter if you drill it.

Before you buy anything, decide on what kind of tank you will keep, then choose your lights accordingly. You will need a return pump, a pump for water movement in the tank (sometimes PH's are used, sometimes a big pump is plumbed for this), heaters, LR, LS if you will have sand, RO/DI for water changes.

If you are handy, you can build most of your equipment to offset the cost, like I did and still do.

good luck