PDA

View Full Version : cheap solution maybe?

hotrodolds
12/06/2008, 12:25 AM
why couldnt you put a HQI metal halide bulb in a cheap work light reflector?

also... why could you not/or can you run http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=11625-3-64367&lpage=none
with this...
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=203216-1373-FL-301PDQ&lpage=none

and make a $50 250 watt pendant.

BlkfrontEnd
12/06/2008, 03:15 AM
honestly, spend the doe now..no worrie later

chrissreef
12/06/2008, 04:56 AM
- won't reflect well and cross your fingers it can take the heat and electrical current (also produces heat)

- you can't run that bulb you mentioned, it will just grow algae (red, yellow spectrum) and probably kill your corals due to not having enough blue spectrum. Reefers use specific bulbs because of their PAR, spectrum, testing/experiences, mimics natural environments etc.

That reflector you linked to says "Use up to a 100 watt incandescent bulb (not included)"... you will increase your chances for a fire if you use that with a higher watt bulb. Even if you found a higher watt rated one, I feel you're asking for it. Sure you can bolt bicycle wheels to a car and it will hold for a little while... won't go very far though b4 things go bad.

hotrodolds
12/06/2008, 09:14 AM
what about using a more expensive aquarium type mogul bulb if i can find a better suited reflector?

would still probably come in at half the price of the cheapest MH ive seen.

Just trying to figure out a way to have enough light for LPS and monti's for as cheap as i can. Its going to be the first venture into sw/reef but as a broke college student its stretching it to just pull this off.

$200 for lights on a 20g just seems a bit high

DarG
12/06/2008, 09:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13886245#post13886245 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hotrodolds
what about using a more expensive aquarium type mogul bulb if i can find a better suited reflector?

would still probably come in at half the price of the cheapest MH ive seen.

Just trying to figure out a way to have enough light for LPS and monti's for as cheap as i can. Its going to be the first venture into sw/reef but as a broke college student its stretching it to just pull this off.

$200 for lights on a 20g just seems a bit high

You need a ballast. You cannot just mount the halide in a clip on light and plug it in. Most single ended halides for the aquarium have a mogul base socket. There are some 150 watt halides with medium base sockets. But the sockets must be rated for the much higher voltage required, especially to fire the halides.

If you want to get off cheap you still can but you have to atleast do it safely and properly.

You can get a fixture (reflector/pendant) with the socket included for the double ended metal halide bulbs for under 40 dollars. You can get an electronic ballast for under 50 dollars and you can get a double ended bulb that is of the correct spectrum for aquarium (10000K, 14000K, 15000K or 20000K ... the higher the K the bluer the color of the light) use for 20 dollar or less on ebay.

Reflector with socket for 150 watt double ended metal halide (also available in 250 watt and 70 watt versions)

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1533

Ballast for 150 watt halide (also available for other wattages).

http://www.ballastwise.com/item.asp?PID=126&FID=17&level=1

For the bulbs go to ebay and do a search in the aquarium lighting section for 150 watt metal halide bulbs.

Here is one example ... a 14K bulbs for 24 bucks but the shipping is free ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Metal-Halide-Aquarium-Light-bulb-150-watt-HQI-14k-NEW_W0QQitemZ280287749343QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item280287749343&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

You can also do the same thing with single ended metal halides (screw in base) using a cheap "batwing" type reflector. But For a 20 gallon you dont need more than 150 watts and there are very few 150 watt single ended metal halide bulbs for aquarium. There are many more 150 watt. 70 watt is also available and probably plenty of light for a 20 gallon in many cases but the bulb choices are slim. If you want to go metal halide over a 20 gallon, 150 watt is your best bet IMO and there are numeround bulb choices. Plus it is still usable should you go to a larger tank.

Keep in mind, this is not high end metal halide lighting. These would be considered budget solutions but they are the correct items to safely and properly run metal halide.

You also may be able to find a complete solution like the Current USA sunpod. Check for b-stock on ebay from Current USA directly. They sell b-stock and refurb items on ebay with guarantee. You may be able to pick up a sunpod in the 100 dollar range which is a complete metal halide fixture with ballast and bulb included that comes in different lengths. There are often many of them listed on ebay new and used.

Here is one example of a used one for 100 dollars with no bids ... used and sold by an independent seller. I post this link as an example only, I have no idea about the seller or the condition of the item ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Current-USA-Sunpod-24-1X150-MH-HQI_W0QQitemZ160302890321QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item160302890321&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

hotrodolds
12/06/2008, 09:29 PM
thanks for those links. Those are some prices i can actually manage to handle in this budget.

NanoReefWanabe
12/06/2008, 09:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13885668#post13885668 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chrissreef
- won't reflect well and cross your fingers it can take the heat and electrical current (also produces heat)

my 150 MH is mounted in a 500watt shop light reflector..no problems what so ever, exact same wires as that of a PFO pendant and such...and pretty much the same metal and shape as a PFO style pendant...light appears to be focused almost too good as it dosent spread very far across the tank without lifting the light 10 or so inches above the tank..it may not be as efficient as a PFO or luminarc...but it works just fine over a 20g tank...a bigger deeper tank you should invest in quality reflectors, as they make the bulb last longer and work more effectively...

- you can't run that bulb you mentioned, it will just grow algae (red, yellow spectrum) and probably kill your corals due to not having enough blue spectrum. Reefers use specific bulbs because of their PAR, spectrum, testing/experiences, mimics natural environments etc.

blue spectrum has nothing to do with the life of a coral, it just looks a lot better....though i agree 3000K may have a tendancy to grow algae, if you could find that bulb in 6500K (which is most closely related to natural light) you would be more then fine...the tanks colour would just need some serious blue lights to give it a more pleasing look....the bigger problem as mentioned is the mogul socket of the bulb wont fit into the medium base of the reflector...

the only problem with the cheap MH bulbs on Ebay is they arent built to the same exacting standards as those of the wider well known bulb manufacturers in the USA and Germany...your bulb life is likely only half that of a good bulb at best...

madreef_7K
12/06/2008, 10:19 PM
I think op has a point. I also, like OP, cruise HD or Menards looking to rig some cheap lighting and other DIY projects.

A lot of people questioned about fire or safety!! Why is that an issue for the reflector he is suggesting? How is this cheap reflector any different from a spider reflector? Yeh! you may have to use a heavier gauge wire but and an mogul adaptor (they sell it in Menards for ~$2.00).

As far bulb, yeh! you may have to use a right bulb. and I don't know the excat spectrum of the bulb the op is recommending, but if it is 10k, then you are ok to use it too. All I am saying is if the specs of the bulb match, there is no reason why it can not be used on the aquarium (and defy conventional wisdom and expand the DIYers horizon).

Anyhow, this is JMHO!! I am not trying to say that the the people who posted their opinoin here are wrong, and I certainly do not want to be flamed here :)

BeanAnimal
12/06/2008, 11:42 PM
There is a big difference between reflector types and efficiencies. So given (2) 150W reflectors, it is very possible that one puts 30% less light into the tank. Wasted light is wasted money. In a hobby where we strive to tweak everything, many times it makes little or no sense to DIY certain items.

Or lets instead, let's put the OP's plan into perspective. It is not AT ALL far fetched to think that a 150W halide in a GOOD reflector will outperform a 250W halide in a crappy reflector! I.E. less watts, more light into the tank!

Dr. Sanjay Joshi has posted some very informative studies some of the different reflector types and brands. You can search google for Sanjay's reef lighting and you will find his articles.

There really is no substitute for a high quality reflector, even if 90% of the hobby does not use them, or understand the need for them.

That said, if you want to save money and DIY something, then look for the "DIY" lumenarc plans. If you follow them exactly you can build a very good reflector. Otherwise pony up and spend the $129 for a ReefOptix III or Mini Lumenarc, lumenbright, etc.

SMOOTHIE
12/07/2008, 12:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13890176#post13890176 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hotrodolds
thanks for those links. Those are some prices i can actually manage to handle in this budget.
Keep checking the sale forum too. Insane prices sometimes on plug and play systems

DarG
12/07/2008, 06:54 AM
I dont think anyone said that a work light reflector is a hazard. The socket is a hazard if it is not a high voltage rated HID socket because the starting voltage of halide bulbs can be in the 4 - 5 Kv range.

The OP never mentioned the need for a ballast either so no matter what you think you are going to use to save money, you have to buy a ballast to fire and drive a metal halide bulb.

And one other thing ... the one poster talking about the focus being so good from the 500 watt work light reflector ... that is a BAD thing, not a good thing. The "focus" as you call it is a "hot spot" which is exactly what you want to limit as much as possible. The better reflectors do this ... they reduce the hotspot and produce a less concentrated, wider, more uniform spread.