PDA

View Full Version : Sump vs Refugium?

gnorts
12/06/2008, 09:17 AM
Ok so i have a emtpy 35 gallon tank and planning on making it into a sump/refugium? Still a newb and not clear on the difference of either or whats more beneficial? I Have a 55 gallon tank with 55 pound of live rock and 50 pounds of live sand.

Anyone have plans designs or pictures i can look at and some useful information? I Would search for a thread but it seems whenever i try to search i get an error.

mfinn
12/06/2008, 09:32 AM
Here is some reading that might help you out.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/newbie/index.php

mfinn
12/06/2008, 09:32 AM
Here is some more.

http://www.melevsreef.com/links.html

noahm
12/06/2008, 09:33 AM
The sump is actually just a generic term for a separate tank, usually under the display tank. It can hold pumps, heaters, skimmers etc, AND a refugium.

The refugium is just a generic term for a place outside of the main tank (sometimes they hang on back and the water cycles through) where extra biological filtration can take place. Often there is some extra live rock or macro algae there to help remove wastes. It is also a place where copepods (pods) and other small live foods can reproduce without being eaten by the fish. Some are simply washed into the main tank via the return pump.

The refugium is often added into a section of the sump that is divided by baflles.

I would incorporate a 'fuge' if you have the space. For designs, you can do a general web search (since this site's search does regularly freeze) :( Just search for 'sump refugium designs' or something like it. Also wetwebmedia.com will have tons of knowledgeable info that can help you understand why and how you might want to incorporate one as well as designs.

Good luck,
Noah :D

gnorts
12/06/2008, 10:30 AM
thanks do i need a light on my sump if i have just live sand, protien skimmer, and return pump?

mfinn
12/06/2008, 11:21 AM
If you are going to have a refugium with a macro algea ( cheato), then you will need a light. One of the best and cheapest is a clamp-on fixture you can get from Lowes or Home Depot for about $5 and the light bulb in this link.

http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

gnorts
12/06/2008, 12:08 PM
Not to sound real new but what is macro algea? is it neccassary? will live sand live rock and my protien skimmer be enough in my refugium with out a light to help with my 55 gallon tank?

gnorts
12/06/2008, 12:27 PM
question that is ocmpletly off topic also would a wathman goby be safe with my eel and bursa trigger?

das75
12/06/2008, 12:51 PM
Again to different things but may be combined or stand alone, but either way if you place on running a overflow in your display, you need a sump.

Also to define refugium a little better, it's simply a place of refuge or free of of predation. It can contain macro, pods etc.

mfinn
12/06/2008, 12:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13887217#post13887217 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gnorts
Not to sound real new but what is macro algea? is it neccassary? will live sand live rock and my protien skimmer be enough in my refugium with out a light to help with my 55 gallon tank?

The information in the links should answer many questions you have about macro, sumps, and refugiums.

noahm
12/06/2008, 07:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13887484#post13887484 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mfinn
The information in the links should answer many questions you have about macro, sumps, and refugiums.

This is also what I would encourage you to do. Here is the actual link to wetweb. As someone new to the hobby as well, I cannot understate the value of research. When you understand how something works, and what it does exactly, then you are able to make an informed decision for yourself.

With so much good, bad, and conflicting information in marine aquatics, the only real way to feel good about a plan or setup is to know why/how etc. There are too many questions that just don't have concrete answers. Except questions about concrete.

As much as you should be able to trust someone's help here, it will make the who trip a lot less trouble to learn as much about some of these things on your own. Plus it is a whole lot of fun to just read people's Q&A s and experiences.

http://wetwebmedia.com/

follow the thread links in the above posts as well

:D

weakspleen
12/06/2008, 07:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13889561#post13889561 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by noahm
There are too many questions that just don't have concrete answers. Except questions about concrete.

http://wetwebmedia.com/

noahm, thanks for the laugh. I've been reading and lurking on this site for a while and haven't noticed wetwebmedia references before, thanks to you and whoever else brought it up. I like to see personal experiences, but I also like to see validation to someone's claim.

gnorts
12/07/2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks noahm

mfinn
12/07/2008, 10:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13889678#post13889678 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by weakspleen
but I also like to see validation to someone's claim.

about what? That refugiums work?

noahm
12/07/2008, 10:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13892578#post13892578 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mfinn
about what? That refugiums work?

I think he meant it in a general sense. Not in regard to whether a fuge works. 'Do I need such and such... ?', or 'This is the best way...':)