PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Choice

texhorns98
12/06/2008, 11:39 AM
I'm still a little confused on how these things work. Is there a unit out there I could install under my sink and be able to also use for drinking water? I know I'd have to run a tee before the DI part, but do any units put out enough volume to fill a tea pitcher on demand? Is there waste water created beyond the initial set up and at filter changes? Has anyone figured out a clean (read:attractive) way to incorporate an RO/DI into their kitchen?

Playa-1
12/06/2008, 12:16 PM
The drinking water systems typically have a pressurized storage tank under the sink so that you can have a few gallons of RO on demand. That's typically the same reason we store our RO/DI water in a drum so that it's ready to go when we need it. If you have a 75 gallon per day unit it would make about 3 gallons per hour in a perfect world.

sailoracu2
12/06/2008, 05:11 PM
Melevsreef.com has a great 100 gal. a day ro/di unit for $170.00 and marinedepot.com has 3gal – 10gal tanks. I’m very happy with my ro/di unit from melevsreef

texhorns98
12/06/2008, 05:26 PM
I'll look into the one on melevsreef. Were you able to incorporate any kind of sigot into your kitchen?

cczarnik
12/06/2008, 05:30 PM
I put my rodi system and storage tank in the garage where there's plenty of room, and ran tubing under the crawlspace to the fridge water dispenser. No more $$ on fridge filters, ice cubes are almost crystal clear. Easier than installing a spigot (usually you'd punch a hole in the sink or put it where a spray wand would normally go).

AZDesertRat
12/06/2008, 06:09 PM
Get the Reef/Residential from www.buckeyefieldsupply.com . It is a reef quality system with a drinking water kit already installed. It also comes with a TDS meter and pressure gauge which you will need.

bigmc66
12/06/2008, 06:26 PM
check out airwaterice.com. They have undersink residential systems as well as your standard ro/di. Good service as well.

markhilken
12/06/2008, 06:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13888877#post13888877 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cczarnik
I put my rodi system and storage tank in the garage where there's plenty of room, and ran tubing under the crawlspace to the fridge water dispenser. No more $$ on fridge filters, ice cubes are almost crystal clear. Easier than installing a spigot (usually you'd punch a hole in the sink or put it where a spray wand would normally go). Just out of curiosity how did you get it to work? Doesn't the fridge line need to be under pressure? My 75 gallon a day rodi just drips out.

0b1
12/06/2008, 07:06 PM
The extra storage tank is pressurized.

"This 3.2 gallon tank will hold 1.3 gallons of water at 50 psi. Typical undersink-sized tank measures approximately 14-inches high and 9-inches in diameter. Stainless steel 1/4-inch mnpt connector. Valve not included." http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showproducts.asp?Category=172&Sub=0

Lenny718
12/06/2008, 08:17 PM
I also have a air water and ice unit and love it.

texhorns98
12/07/2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks guys! So if you have one of these under sink models, where does the waste water go and how can one get it there? If I can buy RO/DI water for $.30 a gallon it will take roughly 500 gallons of purified water to "pay for itself"...this also means 2000 gallons of waste water, right? How often do most people have to change membranes and DI cartridges? I just hear everyone say how they pay for themselves in no time. I'm just trying to see it. I've been using around 45-50G a month between water changes and top off.

AZDesertRat
12/07/2008, 11:30 AM
Membranes should last 3+ years. DI resin is dependent on how well your RO membrane works and how much water you make. Its probably safe to say you should get several months out of a normal DI refill in most cases. You plumb the waste into a drain saddle attached to the sinks P trap drain. You drill a small 3/8" or so hole and attach the saddle which holds the tube in the hole.
Doesn't take long for a unit to pay for itself compared to buying water.

thecoralreefer
12/07/2008, 11:49 AM
Agreed The cost is minimal compared to the savings and Hey the
access instantly to clean water. The store cans are ussually extra but well worth the extra to get one that has this option
You can also get auto top off systems for the tank and plumb it in where you can't see it.