PDA

View Full Version : New RO/DI Unit - Now What?

BradMugs
12/06/2008, 12:11 PM
I just picked up a RO/DI unit from a RC member that is moving. Now what?

He says the unit doesn't have much use and I believe him but how does one tell when it's time to change the filters if you don't know their age/use?

I see there is a drain - how good is that water? Drinkable - human/pets?

How does this all work (I understand the filtration part but the actual use) - for instance if nothing is taking any PURE water does the drain still flow? It has way more capabilities than I can use so I was going to hook "T" to my ice maker and water supply in the fridge. If that isn't taking water and I've shut off the fish supply is the drain going to continue draining water or will the whole thing stop until something needs water again?

Should I get a pressure tank for the fridge or can it supply enough water to handle that (it's 100 gal rated).

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks,

Brad

FloridaFisher
12/06/2008, 02:50 PM
I would start with replacing all filters and get a tds meter to test the tap and filtered water... I try to keep the tds below 5. My tap come in at about 200. As far as the waste hose, I use it for watering plants. I don't think you will be able to tee the clean output as the water pressure will always run through the waste line regardless if a valve closed on the two filtered outputs... if that makes any sense?? Also, I dont think its a good idea to consume RO/DI water. I would just get a separate carbon filter for the fridge.

0b1
12/06/2008, 03:26 PM
Here is some of the info you are looking for:

http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/FAQ.asp

agold11520
12/06/2008, 04:09 PM
I mounted my RO/DI unit in line next to my basement washing machine. The waste water goes to the washer, the filtered water goes to my fish first, then to multiple glass bottles for my family to consume. My tap tdi is about 70, Brita water filter measures about 25 tdi but my r/o water is between 0 to 1 ppm.

cilyjr
12/06/2008, 04:30 PM
are you drinking DI water?
there is a huge argument on this matter. some say it is fine others say never drink it. personally i would not drink it. di filtration media is made up of sulfuric acid, and sodium hydroxide.

agold11520
12/06/2008, 04:52 PM
The studies I have read stated that reverse osmosis filtration does not make contaminated water safe to drink, but I have NYC water that passes thru a "whole house" filter system before hitting the reverse osmosis system. I know many health nuts who have been using it to drink for years. Anyway my wife and I are past the age where we worry about such things! The water just tastes better!

BradMugs
12/06/2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the replies and links - the question was is the WASTE water good for drinking - there is a lot of it and I don't have that many plants. I like the idea about using it for the washing machine but alas it is too far away to do that reasonablly.

BradMugs
12/06/2008, 05:44 PM
I have another question I have this automatic shut-off valve http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showproducts.asp?Category=203&Sub=109 The BFS-117 item. What does it automatically shut off?

AZDesertRat
12/06/2008, 06:04 PM
There are a lot of rumors and misinformation with RO and RO/DI.
Drinking RO is an excellent use, I have drank RO since 1992 when I bought my first unit. Drinking DI is in no way harmful, there are no conclusive tests showing otherwise. You would have to be on a strictly DI diet, no food or other supplements and in fact would drown internally from al the water before it could possibly do any harm.
I don't drink DI because it has a very bland, blah taste and its expensive to make. RO on the other hand has a resfreshing taste and makes clear ice cubes in my ice maker so I use it.

If you got the unit used it would be wise to replace the prefilter and carbon block at a minumum and do a system disinfection before consuming and water. The DI is probably also in need of replacement and a handheld TDS meter will tell you its condition. Do not wait until 5 to change DI resin like someone mentioned. Change DI when you first start seeing anything other than 0 TDS. DI resin begins to release weakly ionized substances like phosphates, silicates and nitrates even before it is exhausted and these may not always register well on a TDS meter so don't wait.

If it has a pressure tank and autoshutoff valve it can be hooked to the frig and ice maker, if it doesn't have those it cannot.
The autoshutoff valve shuts off bothe the good and waste flows when a pressure tank is full or something like a float valve , bal valve or solenoid valve closes on the good water line.

Do not drink the waste, it is 20-25% higher in TDS than the tap water was to begin with. Water trees, the lawn, house plants etc. Some fill the washing machine but that can be risky if you forget it. It wastes 4 gallons for every 1 good gallon so a washer fills up quickly and can overflow into the motor and floor.

BradMugs
12/07/2008, 12:07 AM
Thank you every one. I believe I'm ready to start making water, but first to bed!

Flipper62
12/07/2008, 01:03 AM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13889072#post13889072 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
[B]There are a lot of rumors and misinformation with RO and RO/DI.
Drinking RO is an excellent use, I have drank RO since 1992 when I bought my first unit. Drinking DI is in no way harmful, there are no conclusive tests showing otherwise.

Well AZDeserRat.......?????? I have pictures...

AZDesertRat.......1992....

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm238/flipper62_photos/idzr.jpg

ADZesertRat.......2008....

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm238/flipper62_photos/adz.jpg

Hehehehe....SORRY....I just couldn't stop my self........ALL IN FUN........:dance:

cilyjr
12/07/2008, 08:23 AM
hahahahaha....

i know there is great debate on this. and when i researched it the votes seem to come almost 50-50.

my waste water tube fills a rain barrel which runs soaker hoses through my back yard.

AZDesertRat
12/07/2008, 11:43 AM
Didn't realize I had aged so much:D

thecoralreefer
12/07/2008, 02:08 PM
I drink ro water too I have never had a problem either.
But i agree the waist is not for consumption

lesleybird
12/07/2008, 10:08 PM
Here is where I buy all of my filters. this seller's many items. I have been buying from them for a couple of years. Make sure you get the filter that removes the chlorine and chloramines for the fish. Go to Ebay and type in a search for item number 260236544843 seller H2O Science. They have lots of other RO/DI filter items and will answer questions for people new to water filtration systems. Lesley

BradMugs
12/09/2008, 05:48 PM
Thank you all again for the help. I'm getting more and more answers - soon I'll know enough to be dangerious.

One more question AZdesertrat suggested I disinfect my system. How does one go about doing that?