PDA

View Full Version : Returning with a 40 FOWLR. Thoughts?

Nutter
12/06/2008, 05:58 PM
My job has cut back my travel so I am itching to get back into the hobby again.

Here is my plan:

Set up a FOWLR 40 gallon breeder with a 10 gallon sump for skimmer, refugium, etc. In this tank I want to get the following:

A clown
lemonpeel angel
goby with paired (hopefully) pistol shrimp
Possibly a firefish

Assuming that I am able to stay in the hobby for the long term, I would eventually upgrade to a 125 and use the 40 as a sump/refugium. Then I would then add a Picasso trigger and dogface puffer.

I assume that the pistol shrimp, goby and firefish would probably become food for the trigger so I would need to find them a new home.

Please let me know your thoughts on my plan.

jdmcivicek9
12/07/2008, 11:23 AM
i would go with at least a 20gal sump...10 gal is kinda tight to fit a skimmer, fuge and return pump...

thecoralreefer
12/07/2008, 11:25 AM
And I would be leary of a firefish in a low top tank.
They do like to jump !!!

Michael
12/07/2008, 11:29 AM
[welcome]

fender4string
12/07/2008, 01:57 PM
Based on what I've read I don't think you'd want to mix a trigger in the 125 with the stock list you have planned for the 40. The Picasso is a pretty big fish (10"-12") and they can be very aggressive. A lot of sources say that they are mellow fish but based on first hand accounts by people on RC they are highly individual and can be extremely aggressive fish. The goby, clown, and firefish probably wouldn't be safe-they're too small and passive. Easy targets for a large, aggressive fish. I don't know about the angel.