PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic Biocube Skimmer

bigj11
12/06/2008, 06:20 PM
What is your opinion on the oceanic Biocube size 29 factory skimmer? I might get one for $36. Are they loud? Do they work well? thanks for the help guys.:)

StevieTdrill
12/06/2008, 06:47 PM
Most would say they suck pretty bad, you get what you pay for.

jkrentz2515
12/06/2008, 06:50 PM
if you are going to buy that that you might as well save your money and create some sort of refugium in the back chambers.

bigj11
12/06/2008, 06:54 PM
yeah, my mom doesn't want me to mess with the back of my biocube. Would you say that a oceanic biocube would be better than no skimmer at all?

StevieTdrill
12/06/2008, 06:55 PM
You don't have to mess around with much to create a fuge. I would say a fuge and waterchanges is much more effective than that bad skimmer.

jkrentz2515
12/06/2008, 06:55 PM
if you can get it working right and keep the water at a consistent level it can be serviceable.

mfp1016
12/06/2008, 08:09 PM
I'm of the opinion anymore that people's purported success with various skimmer is usually do to operator error. I used to use this on a 29 gal biocube. This skimmer worked beautifully for me. It produced about half a cup of dark skimmate with dry skimming. Yes there are more effective skimmers out there, but for $36 versus a $150 Tunze or Sapphire, I'd take the biocube hands down.

LiveRound69
12/06/2008, 08:52 PM
i use that skimmer. not had any problems so far.

bigj11
12/07/2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks! The BC 29 skimmer it is. I'm gonna pick it up today.

k9gunner
12/07/2008, 10:43 AM
It will last about 2 weeks then crap out, you will need to replace the airstone about every 3 weeks.

LiveRound69
01/05/2009, 01:30 AM
i found that the airstone, if taken out every few weeks, and scrubbed with a toothbrush makes it last alot longer. not to mention the occasional disassembling of the air pump housing to clean the diaphragm with a can of air.

GustavoAZ
01/05/2009, 04:02 PM
I bought one of these after reading this post and hearing the same thing, sounds like allot of people are having luck if they just tune it in. I have to say It sure produces bubbles but I have yet to find it consistant with the level in the neck. I'm wondering what a good break in period is. I'm sure it will have to film up first before it becomes more stable, just as any other skimmer.

Kinda funny thou, my ck valve that came with it wasn't flowing any air, I guess ther is a small slit in the rubber part, I had to take a razor blade to it and open it up a little.

If it works out that will be great, it's compact, makes next to no noise and doesn't effect the water temp.

I am thinking about a mod already on it. Rubber band around the lid. Lol, the lid came off and got in to the tank this morning, I'm gonna have to fish it out.

2_zoa
01/05/2009, 09:03 PM
Mine had the same prob. with the check valve. I poked it with a tooth pick to open the slot. It took me about two days to get the air flow right. Just the slightest turn on the air valve makes a huge difference.

In a couple of weeks it will start to slow down on the bubbles from where you adjusted it at. My .02 on this is not to fiddle with it, leave it be. I set mine to skim just a little wet so when the stone started to fall off the skim would become more dry. I could then change the stone with no ill effects.

I also found that a piece of Bass wood from the local wood working store was a heck of a lot cheaper. You just have to put in a little time cutting them to size, drill, tap. Sounds like a lot of work but, $3.50 for 25 air stones is worth it to me.

ducklabdad
01/05/2009, 09:13 PM
Well I have heard on these threads a lot of people say how "bad" the oceanic nan skimmer is etc...

But I have been trying to find someone to sell, or trade me one of those "bad" oceanic skimmers, But have not even had one person resopond wanting to shed themselves of this "horrible skimmer"!!

Makes me kind of wonder myself how "bad" they really are. LOL:eek2:

CoralChris
01/05/2009, 10:12 PM
mine works great for me on my BC14... i use an old whisper 400 air pump with just the bleed valve. got it dialed in in about 15-20 mins.

im quite happy so far.

i do happen to get the wood block replacements for wholesale price though at work.

jun_18T
01/06/2009, 08:57 AM
hey "gustavo".....any luck on this skimmer??? i need to know coz im also in the market for one. im looking toward a tunze or the cpr but if this thing works...heck why not. can you pls give us an update

thanks

sutec13
01/06/2009, 10:07 AM
I have a BC29 with a Sapphire skimmer that cost $150 and I think at best it's okay. I think $39 is low risk to try. If you buy from some online sites, they have pretty liberal return policies. I always buy stuff like that from petsolutions.com because of the nice return policy.

GustavoAZ
01/06/2009, 11:09 AM
Well I checked it last night and I really haven't got anything nasty yet but the foam is getting thicker. I think it's starting to coat up. I haven't touched the setting at all. I just set it where the bubbles just at the neck. A day later it foamed really wet and filled the cup with just water and knocked the cap off. And like I said last night it seems to be coming along. I don't plan on touching the needle for about a week. Then I'll dial it in if needed. The worse that could happen is it overfills the cup, knocks the lid off and poors into my second chamber with filter floss.

k9gunner
01/06/2009, 01:36 PM
Let us know how it is in a month, I would bet it will clog up and quit by then.